We always enjoy hearing from our friends in Eat Your Birthday Cake. They dropped us a note yesterday with word of yet another new song—this one called “Kathy + Ken,” from their forthcoming album, Enemies. It’s a piece of bubblegum-pop that makes its way into your heart with distorted keyboards and minimalist beats.
Hometown electro dance-pop group Instamatic bring “brainy beats” and cutting synth hooks to Kung Fu Necktie tonight. Their recent three-track EP Things Went Black features heavy, beat-centric hooks that manage to merge stylistic elements of new-wave with percussion-infused classic electronic overtones. It’s dark, yet … Read More
- Listen to "Funeral Beds" from The Districts self-titled EP, out on Fat Possum in January
- The Week So Far: 11 must-read stories on The Key (incl. The Last Waltz, Katie Frank, The War on Drugs)
With each subsequent release, Richard Buckner further solidifies his place in the pantheon of the great American songwriters, whether you’ve heard of him or not. While he’s been releasing alt-country and folk gems for 20 years, it feels like a … Read More
- My Morning Download: "Bourbon Coated (Key Studio Session)" by Levee Drivers (playing Kung Fu Necktie 12/6)
- Listen to Kwesi K's Daytrotter session (playing Melodies Cafe, Ardmore on 12/20)
So it’s not quite a “new” song from The Districts, but we’ll take it. The harmonoica-led bootsomper “Funeral Beds” is a track featured prominently on the band’s 2012 self-released LP Telephone, and went on to generate a bit of viral … Read More
- Gretchen Lohse announces release of Primal Rumble LP; listen to two new tracks
- Folkadelphia Session: Richard Buckner
DRGN King‘s “Holy Ghost,” a track featured on their full length album Paragraph Nights, was recently remixed by Alex Kimble, a rapper and producer from Oxford, Mississippi. The electronic remix bumps like a pop rager while still maintaining the chill vibe … Read More
- Hang out with Belgrade in the music video for "Venice on a Map"
- Dynamic Philly producer Moon Bounce releases free download for "Marvelous Beast"
Tonight's Concert Picks: Marc Neibauer at Johnny Brenda's, K.T. Tunstall at Union Transfer, Work Drugs at First Unitarian Church and more
Philadelphia-based singer/songwriter Marc Neibauer (formerly known as Eat Your Birthday Cake) takes the stage at Johnny Brenda’s tonight. Following up on his LP Don’t Fall Apart, released last month on Bandcamp, Neibauer proudly posted a new demo called “How Long” … Read More
- Download Don't Fall Apart, the new LP from Marc Neibauer (formerly Eat Your Birthday Cake)
- Eat Your Birthday Cake is dead; long live Marc Neibauer! (download a new single, "Playtime")