We’ve shown Purling Hiss quite a bit of love this week, so why stop now? Especially given that the Philly-based rock trio is performing with a pair of other local acts: Watery Love and the garage-goth quartet Far-Out Fangtooth. If you haven’t given Purling Hiss’ Key Studio Session a listen yet, you can do so here. Purling Hiss performs with Watery Love and Far-Out Fangtooth at 8 p.m. at Kung Fu Necktie; tickets to the 21+ show are $8.
Also playing: Marnie Stern + Tera Melos, Many Arms at First Unitarian Church (8 p.m., all ages, $12); Carolina Chocolate Drops + Birdie Busch, The Great Unknown at TLA (8 p.m., $19); Free Energy + The Spinning Leaves, Hezekiah Jones, Toy Soldiers, Kuf Knotz at Drexel University’s Mandell Theater (7 p.m., $10)
About the author
Philadelphia: Home to a rich musical history, a unique musical identity, and one of the nation's most thriving musical communities. In a scene filled with so many local bands worth listening to, there will always be new music to discover—and The Key is your source for finding it. Brought to you by WXPN—the non-commercial public radio station that World Cafe, XPN2, and XPoNential Music Festival call home—The Key covers all local music in Greater Philly and beyond. View all posts by The Key →
MORE POSTS ABOUT
- Concert Previews
- Carolina Chocolate Drops
- Kung Fu Necktie
- Marnie Stern
Sometimes unlikely combinations on paper make for good bedfellows in the studio. Such is the case with Cody ChesnuTT who collaborated with Gary Clark, Jr. on “Gunpowder On The Letter,” from ChesnuTT’s new Landing on A Hundred: B-Sides and Remixes. … Read More
- Not going to SXSW? Don't worry. WXPN is bringing SXSW to you.
- Just announced: A double dose of Phish at the Mann in July
PREMIERE: Whiskey swiggin' rockers TJ Kong and the Atomic Bomb brood and wail on "Don't Come Home Pretty Woman"
Whiskey swiggin’ folk-blues rockers TJ Kong and the Atomic Bomb announced a brand new 5-track EP last week, Kong, and today we bring you the premiere of a raw new track called “Don’t Come Home Pretty Woman.” Reminiscent of a … Read More
- PREMIERE: Download "Penn's Woods," a song from Bucks County one-man band Jeremiah Tall
- Groove to three new songs from Night Panther on the Kiss EP
This week is the SXSW music conference in Austin, Texas – something you pretty much can’t miss if you frequent the music blogosphere. But if you’re staying home in Philly and find yourself scrolling through photos and tweets about amazing … Read More
- April's Communion Showcase hosts The Lawsuits, Banned Books, Gretchen Lohse and more
- From Behind The Barricade: The Wonder Years tour kickoff had the Chameleon Club pulsing with energy
Tonight's Concert Picks: Purling Hiss with Spacin' at Johnny Brenda's, Glitter at World Cafe Live, Restorations at the First Unitarian Church, They Might Be Giants at The TLA, Meek Mill at The Tower Theater and more
Local rockers Purling Hiss celebrate the release of Water On Mars at Johnny Brenda’s tonight. The new LP is the trio’s major label debut (through Drag City) and presents the bristly lo-fi guitar rock of previous releases in a more … Read More
- Tonight's Concert Picks: The Gathering feat. Rhiannon Giddens at Sellersville Theatre, Young Statues with Heartwell at the Barbary, Slingshot Dakota at The Fire, John Fullbright at the Tin Angel, Antibalas at Union Transfer
- Dawes, Carolina Chocolate Drops, Rodney Crowell playing Appel Farm Arts & Music festival in June
Tonight's Concert Picks: Mike Bell & The Movies at The Fire, The Jawn at M Room, Cold Fronts at Johnny Brenda's and more...
Mike Bell & The Movies play The Fire tonight. The power pop / punk band out of Philadelphia (featuring members of Algernon Cadwallader and Dangerous Ponies) released a new record called Nothing Works a few weeks ago, following up their Stuck in … Read More
- Tonight's Concert Picks: Communion Philadelphia with Vacationer and Pearl and the Beard at Underground Arts, The Wonder Years at Chameleon Club, TJ Kong at Kung Fu Necktie and more
- Tonight's Concert Picks: Cheerleader at Kung Fu Necktie, Schoolboy Q at The Trocadero, Robyn Hitchcock at Sellersville Theater and more
Review: A full-contact night with Marnie Stern, Barren Girls and Little Big League at Johnny Brenda's
All photos by Chris Sikich | countfeed.tumblr.com Shredding the night away, Marnie Stern and her crackling band headlined a night of indie rock awesomeness at Johnny Brenda’s on Friday. The tightness of the openers — phenomenal Philly locals Little Big … Read More
- Listen to three new Marnie Sterns from the forthcoming Chronicles of Marnia (playing Johnny Brenda's on 5/10)
- Recap: Marnie Stern at The Barbary