Their sound undeniably echoes Bright Eyes circa Wide Awake, but new Philly Folk act Former Belle has a more rough ‘round the edges pedigree. Their debut EP Sounds From the Ground includes guest contributions from Mike Cammarata and Farzad Houshiarnejad – formerly of carnival punk louts Drink Up Buttercup, currently of psych introverts White Birds – as well as drummer Tim Bostwick, late of Bucks County garage trio The Rowdies. These are folkies with teeth. Listen to today’s Philly Local Phile “Soul Searchin’ on an Empty Train” below, and catch the band in concert tomorrow night at The Fire.
Phish have announced their summer tour plans with two shows in Philly. After they wrap up their three shows in Saratoga Springs over the July 4th weekend, the party continues in Fairmount Park when they play the Mann Center on … Read More
- April's Communion Showcase hosts The Lawsuits, Banned Books, Gretchen Lohse and more
- Commonwealth Choir and Big Tusk collaborate on limited edition tape release
PREMIERE: Whiskey swiggin' rockers TJ Kong and the Atomic Bomb brood and wail on "Don't Come Home Pretty Woman"
Whiskey swiggin’ folk-blues rockers TJ Kong and the Atomic Bomb announced a brand new 5-track EP last week, Kong, and today we bring you the premiere of a raw new track called “Don’t Come Home Pretty Woman.” Reminiscent of a … Read More
- PREMIERE: Download "Penn's Woods," a song from Bucks County one-man band Jeremiah Tall
- Groove to three new songs from Night Panther on the Kiss EP
Hailing from pastoral Bucks County, Jeremiah Tall has equal access to the city and countryside, and you can totally hear it in his music. On the one hand, it’s very roots / Americana-centric – not unlike his neighbors Levee Drivers … Read More
- The Week's Best Free MP3s, incl. Marah, Auctioneer, Katie Frank & the Pheromones and more
- Download Flyermile's first single "End of Eve," catch their debut show tonight at Boot and Saddle
Following this month’s strong showing at the Communion Club Night at Underground Arts, the monthly event has announced the bill for the next installment, taking place on April 3rd. NYC pop artist Johnny Stimson headlines, with support from local indie rockers The … Read More
- From Behind The Barricade: The Wonder Years tour kickoff had the Chameleon Club pulsing with energy
- Tonight's Concert Pick: Broken Beak at PhilaMOCA
Commonwealth Choir and Big Tusk have announced the release of a super-limited run of cassette tape splits ahead of their joint show at Milkboy this Saturday, March 15th. Recorded through an entirely analog process, Philly Tapes Philly Vol. 1: … Read More
- The whimsical indie-folk sounds of Phox
- PREMIERE: Whiskey swiggin' rockers TJ Kong and the Atomic Bomb brood and wail on "Don't Come Home Pretty Woman"
Tonight's Concert Picks: Liz and the Lost Boys at Kung Fu Necktie, Nightlands at Ortlieb's, Former Belle at Hard Rock Cafe and more
Jazz-tinged Philly four-piece Liz and the Lost Boys headlines Kung Fu Necktie tonight. Fronted by singer, songwriter and harpist Liz Ciavolino, the band just released a digital single for the songs “February” and “The Forest and the Farmer,” and the … Read More
- The Quarterly Project releasing Summer 2013 charity compilation (listening party/benefit concert at PhilaMOCA 8/29)
- PREMIERE: Watch Market East perform "Evergreen" and download the song (playing MilkBoy with a bunch of awesome people on 6/8)