This week, we’ll be taking a look at several WXPN/XPN2 staff members’ Best Of 2011 lists. Today, XPN2′s John Vettese—who records and produces our Key Studio Sessions—tells us his five favorite local albums of the year.
1. The War On Drugs, Slave Ambient (Secretly Canadian) Listen to The War On Drugs’ Key Studio Session
2. Creepoid, Horse Heaven (Ian) Listen to Creepoid’s Key Studio Session
3. Zakee, Assimilations(Green Owl)
4. Meg Baird, Seasons On Earth (Drag City)
5. Saturn Never Sleeps, Yesterday’s Machine (self-released) Listen to Saturn Never Sleeps’ Key Studio Session
About the author
Philadelphia: Home to a rich musical history, a unique musical identity, and one of the nation's most thriving musical communities. In a scene filled with so many local bands worth listening to, there will always be new music to discover—and The Key is your source for finding it. Brought to you by WXPN—the non-commercial public radio station that World Cafe, XPN2, and XPoNential Music Festival call home—The Key covers all local music in Greater Philly and beyond. View all posts by The Key →
Lana Del Rey is playing the Skyline Stage at The Mann on Sunday, May 11th. Tickets go on sale this Friday, March 14th at 10AM. In the late summer of 2011, the music interwebs exploded in fascination over Del Rey’s … Read More
- PREMIERE: Whiskey swiggin' rockers TJ Kong and the Atomic Bomb brood and wail on "Don't Come Home Pretty Woman"
- PREMIERE: Download "Penn's Woods," a song from Bucks County one-man band Jeremiah Tall
Bleeding Rainbow stopped by for this week’s Key Studio Session in support of their new record Interrupt. As Key editor John Vettese writes, “[it’s] not their easiest to listen to – at turns it can be raw, biting, forlorn, enraged and rarely poppy … Read More
- Unlocked: Take a road trip to Baltimore with Philly's Creepoid
- Unlocked: Going deep into the creative process of Creepoid
Tonight's Concert Picks: Ben Vaughn Quintet at The Tin Angel, Angel Olsen at Studio 34, The Astronauts at PhilaMOCA, Mirah at Johnny Brenda's, The Tragically Hip at The TLA
South Jersey-bred rocker, producer and XPN host Ben Vaughn takes to the stage of The Tin Angel tonight. The venue is celebrating its 20th anniversary this month, and XPN Welcomes Ben and his quintet to rattle the walls a bit … Read More
- Exit Interview: Meg Baird on her 10+ years in the Philly folk scene
- Listen to a new song from Angel Olsen (playing Studio 34 on 11/13)
According to Fact Magazine, DJ/producer King Britt is releasing an EP under his Fhloston Paradigm alias on Hyperdub records on March 26th. When Britt released the first Fhloston Paradigm EP, Fiction Science, in January, 2011 he said the project was dedicated … Read More
- My Morning Download: Saturn Never Sleeps, "Hearts On Fire" from The Key Studio Sessions Compilation, Vol. 3
- Download The Key Studio Sessions Compilation Vol. 3 (feat. mewithoutYou, Psychic Teens, White Birds, + more)
Philadelphia space rock heroes The War on Drugs release their latest LP, Lost in the Dream, next Tuesday via Secretly Canadian Records, and they’ll join us this Friday March 14th for a Free at Noon performance at World Cafe Live (RSVP … Read More
- What's it take to win The War on Drugs talent show? Find out in the "Red Eyes" video.
- Snoop Dogg, Janelle Monae, The War on Drugs and Chill Moody top The Roots 7th annual Roots Picnic lineup
If you’re making a playlist for your significant other this Valentine’s Day, it’d be foolish not to include the new sultry duet from Philly vocalists Zakee and Res. “But You” is sexy without trying too hard or too little; a … Read More
- Listen to Zakee's new single "Mountain Dreams"
- Deep jams with Philly native Zakee on the new "Tippin"