This week, we’ll be taking a look at several WXPN/XPN2 staff members’ Best Of 2011 lists. Today, The Key editor Matthew Borlik’s five favorite local albums of the year.
1. Psychic Teens, Teen (Golden Voyage Records) Listen to Psychic Teens’ Key Studio Session
2. Meg Baird, Seasons On Earth (Drag City)
3. Creepoid, Horse Heaven (Ian Records) Listen to Creepoid’s Key Studio Session
4. Arches and Banned Books, Split 10″ (Magic Death Records) Listen to Arches‘ Key Studio Session
5. White Birds, White Birds EP (self-released) Listen to White Birds’ Key Studio Session
Break It Up’s self-released single “Excavate,” which the band posted on Bandcamp earlier this year and is easily my favorite local song of 2011. Had it received an official release this year (either as a 7-inch or on a full-length), it definitely would been included on my list. Unfortunately, it looks like we’ll have to wait until next year for the band to release its debut. Listen to Break It Up’s Key Studio Session
Lantern and Dirty Beaches’ self-released live album, Live At Glasslands—because live albums don’t count. Listen to Lantern’s Key Studio Session