On the one hand, irresistibly funky foursome Coup Couroux recalls the big-beat era of late-90s electro-pop; Lo-Fidelity Allstars, Chemical Brothers, and the like. But while today’s Philly Local Phile, “Sneaking Suspicion,” might sound like something Norman Cook would have brewed up in his lab circa 1997, this music is clearly the product of songwriters as much as bodyrockers. Give a listen to the track below, hear their entire self-titled EP over at Bandcamp, and catch them this weekend when they headline Milkboy Philly.
“I feel so much more empowered when I’m onstage with the band,” says Katie Frank. “I can be timid when it comes to singing my songs.” Timid. Hearing that word comes as a bit of a surprise since, in person, … Read More
- Listen to a quirky new single from Sarah Koon called "Pretty Simple"
- Black Francis to Magnet: Philly didn't get an encore 'cause Philly didn't earn an encore
When Pattern is Movement played a set of brand new songs at Union Transfer back in October, the one that stood out the most was a slick and smokin’ midtempo groover with dynamic vocal harmonies. Turns out the song is … Read More
- Modern Baseball's "Your Graduation" video will make you want to skateboard and slam dance in the FDR Park snow
- Tonight's Concert Picks: Auctioneer at Johnny Brenda's, Eternal Summers at Boot and Saddle, Air is Human at Ortlieb's
Wilmington, DE musician Sarah Koon has released a new single called “Pretty Simple,” taken from her forthcoming EP This Kind of Education. The track forms around Koon’s beautifully executed piano playing, swirling out in cinematic fashion with several mood and … Read More
- Indulge in Simple Pleasures courtesy of neo-soul newcomer Milton
- Review: Marian Hill's Play
Coup Couroux FRIDAY, JANUARY 6th Rev TJ McGlinchey + Dani Mari, Up The Chain, Joe D’Amico at World Cafe Live (8 p.m., $17.50-$22.50); Liat + Amanda Wells, Sarah Donner, Sun Flight at Tin Angel (10:30 p.m., 21+, $10); Artie Appleseed … Read More
- Philadelphia Bandcamp Hunter: Coup Couroux
- Up-and-coming local band Coup Couroux holding EP release party tonight at Roosevelt's Room VII
Tonight, minimal Philly psycheduo Bridge Underwater plays at the latest Bands in the Backyard showcase – the No Alternative video party at Silk City. Joining them on the bill of this free show are sludge rockers Spirit Animal and harmonizing … Read More
- Philly Local Philes: Po Po's "Let's Get Away (Diplo RMX)"
- Philly Local Philes: The Only Ghost In Town's "Waterfall"