Dusdin Condren/Courtesy of the artist
XPN Welcomes Sharon Van Etten + Shearwater to Johnny Brenda’s at 9:15 p.m. Friday, February 10th; tickets to the 21+ show are SOLD OUT. You can listen to Van Etten’s new album, Tramp, via streaming audio at NPR Music.
Also Playing: XPN Welcomes Bruce Hornsby to the Keswick Theatre at 8 p.m. Saturday, February 11th; tickets to the all-ages show are $29.50–$49.50.
About the author
Philadelphia: Home to a rich musical history, a unique musical identity, and one of the nation's most thriving musical communities. In a scene filled with so many local bands worth listening to, there will always be new music to discover—and The Key is your source for finding it. Brought to you by WXPN—the non-commercial public radio station that World Cafe, XPN2, and XPoNential Music Festival call home—The Key covers all local music in Greater Philly and beyond. View all posts by The Key →
Following this month’s strong showing at the Communion Club Night at Underground Arts, the monthly event has announced the bill for the next installment, taking place on April 3rd. NYC pop artist Johnny Stimson headlines, with support from local indie rockers The … Read More
- From Behind The Barricade: The Wonder Years tour kickoff had the Chameleon Club pulsing with energy
- Tonight's Concert Pick: Broken Beak at PhilaMOCA
Tonight's Concert Picks: Mike Bell & The Movies at The Fire, The Jawn at M Room, Cold Fronts at Johnny Brenda's and more...
Mike Bell & The Movies play The Fire tonight. The power pop / punk band out of Philadelphia (featuring members of Algernon Cadwallader and Dangerous Ponies) released a new record called Nothing Works a few weeks ago, following up their Stuck in … Read More
- Tonight's Concert Picks: Auctioneer at Johnny Brenda's, Eternal Summers at Boot and Saddle, Air is Human at Ortlieb's
- PREMIERE: Philly art-poppers Auctioneer debut the melodic "Hard to Believe It"
Tonight's Concert Picks: Colin Meloy at the Keswick Theatre, XPN Welcomes Matt Nathanson to the Electric Factory, Far Out Fangtooth at Boot & Saddle and more
Colin Meloy, lead singer of The Decemberists, brings his solo tour to the Keswick Theatre tonight. The Portland, OR musician will be sharing new songs alongside tracks from his extensive catalog during the tour. He’s also supporting a new … Read More
- Tonight's Concert Picks: Janelle Monae at the Electric Factory, Colin Hay at Keswick Theatre, Deltron 3030 at the TLA and more
- Just Announced: Josh Ritter to play Keswick Theatre on 2/27
Sharon Van Etten has debuted the first single from her upcoming LP Are We There ahead of its release on May 27th. Pulsating and gliding, “Taking Chances” puts a slight R&B spin on the Brooklyn musician’s indie rock style. Syncopated synths … Read More
- Just Announced: Sharon Van Etten to release new LP Are We There, plays Union Transfer on 6/18
- Photos: The Walkmen, Sun Ra Arkestra, Spank Rock and more played Union Transfer to raise money for The Rail Park
XPN's Gotta Hear Song Of The Week: Sharon Van Etten and Shearwater cover "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around"
This week’s Read More
- Listen to Shearwater’s interview and performance on XPN2
- Listen to Animal Joy, the new album by Shearwater (perf. with Sharon Van Etten Feb. 10th at Johnny Brenda's)
Tonight's Concert Picks: Mischief Brew at Underground Arts, The Chairman Dances at MilkBoy, Midge Ure of Ultravox at World Cafe Live, XPN Welcomes Paula Cole at The Sellersville Theater
Carnivalesque folk / punk band Mischief Brew play Underground Arts tonight. Born out of former Orphans front-man Erik Petersen’s basement, the local rockers released Rhapsody for Knives in 2012, an EP comprised of three songs that were not included on 2011′s … Read More
- The Week's Best MP3 Downloads, incl. Chill Moody, BOY, Matt Pond
- Tonight's Concert Picks: The David Wax Museum at Johnny Brenda's, Neil Young at The Wells Fargo Center, High on Fire at Union Transfer, Passion Pit at The Electric Factory, Zilla Rocca at World Cafe Live