Dusdin Condren/Courtesy of the artist
XPN Welcomes Sharon Van Etten + Shearwater to Johnny Brenda’s at 9:15 p.m. Friday, February 10th; tickets to the 21+ show are SOLD OUT. You can listen to Van Etten’s new album, Tramp, via streaming audio at NPR Music.
Also Playing: XPN Welcomes Bruce Hornsby to the Keswick Theatre at 8 p.m. Saturday, February 11th; tickets to the all-ages show are $29.50–$49.50.
About the author
Philadelphia: Home to a rich musical history, a unique musical identity, and one of the nation's most thriving musical communities. In a scene filled with so many local bands worth listening to, there will always be new music to discover—and The Key is your source for finding it. Brought to you by WXPN—the non-commercial public radio station that World Cafe, XPN2, and XPoNential Music Festival call home—The Key covers all local music in Greater Philly and beyond. View all posts by The Key →
Long-running New York pop-punk crew Bayside hit The Troc earlier this month for a sold-out show with Doylestown four-piece Daylight (which has since changed its name to Superheaven) and Mixtapes. Bayside is on tour in support of Cult, it’s first … Read More
- Nick Millevoi set to release new record Numbers on the Side this month
- Night Panther reveal secret guest for final night of residency at Bourbon & Branch on 4/25
Tonight's Concert Picks: TJ Kong EP release at Johnny Brenda's, Goodnight Lights at The Fire, Cloud Cult at Prince Music Theater and more
TJ Kong and The Atomic Bomb will rock Johnny Brenda’s tonight in celebration of their latest EP KONG. The Philly-bred four-piece are a pleasant mix of garage rock and jump blues that’s far from predictable. Check out “Telephone Blues’ below … Read More
- Tonight's Concert Picks: PAWS at Boot and Saddle, Jose James at World Cafe Live, Protomartyr with Amanda X at Kung Fu Necktie
- TJ Kong go balkan in their Random Tea Sessions performance of "Dynamite"
Tonight's Concert Picks: OhBree at Kung Fu Necktie, The Stray Birds at World Café Live, Daley at Union Transfer and more
Yesterday, we premiered their new single “Sweater” and tonight Philly’s OhBree brings their brand of oddball pop to the Kung Fu Necktie stage. There’s much to celebrate as the band’s new LP Death by Broomstick comes out in just a … Read More
- Tonight's Concert Picks: Colin Meloy at the Keswick Theatre, XPN Welcomes Matt Nathanson to the Electric Factory, Far Out Fangtooth at Boot & Saddle and more
- Tonight's Concert Picks: Janelle Monae at the Electric Factory, Colin Hay at Keswick Theatre, Deltron 3030 at the TLA and more
Sharon Van Etten has shared the video for her song “Taking Chances” from her forthcoming album, Are We There, out May 27th on Jagjaguwar. The video was inspired by film director Agnès Varda, and her 1962 film, Cleo from 5 … Read More
- Download a new song by Sharon Van Etten, "Taking Chances"
- Sharon Van Etten puts an R&B spin on her sound in "Taking Chances"
XPN's Gotta Hear Song Of The Week: Sharon Van Etten and Shearwater cover "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around"
This week’s Read More
- Listen to Shearwater’s interview and performance on XPN2
- Listen to Animal Joy, the new album by Shearwater (perf. with Sharon Van Etten Feb. 10th at Johnny Brenda's)
Tonight's Concert Picks: Mischief Brew at Underground Arts, The Chairman Dances at MilkBoy, Midge Ure of Ultravox at World Cafe Live, XPN Welcomes Paula Cole at The Sellersville Theater
Carnivalesque folk / punk band Mischief Brew play Underground Arts tonight. Born out of former Orphans front-man Erik Petersen’s basement, the local rockers released Rhapsody for Knives in 2012, an EP comprised of three songs that were not included on 2011′s … Read More
- The Week's Best MP3 Downloads, incl. Chill Moody, BOY, Matt Pond
- Tonight's Concert Picks: The David Wax Museum at Johnny Brenda's, Neil Young at The Wells Fargo Center, High on Fire at Union Transfer, Passion Pit at The Electric Factory, Zilla Rocca at World Cafe Live