As her late summer tour with Bon Iver wraps up, New England folksinger Anaïs Mitchell just announced a string of fall dates that bring her back to Philadelphia on December 6 for an appearance at Johnny Brenda’s. Philadelphia / Brooklyn psych-pop collective Cuddle Magic opens, an apt pairing as members the group often perform with Mitchell (including drummer Dave Flaherty, who was with her on the Bon Iver tour). Admission to the 21+ is $12, and tickets will be available here this Friday, September 28 at noon. Below, watch the music video for “Coming Down” from Mitchell’s breathtaking 2012 album Young Man in America.
Philly-born four-piece Thee, Idea Men recorded a live video of their new single “Help Me Mama” during a set at Milkboy last week. The local outfit shed their quirky alt-rock exterior in favor of a sixties rock sound for … Read More
- Former Philadelphians Cheers Elephant release lyric video for "Peoples"
- Bondage & Discipline are dark and romantic on debut single "Only Your Love"
PREMIERE: Whiskey swiggin' rockers TJ Kong and the Atomic Bomb brood and wail on "Don't Come Home Pretty Woman"
Whiskey swiggin’ folk-blues rockers TJ Kong and the Atomic Bomb announced a brand new 5-track EP last week, Kong, and today we bring you the premiere of a raw new track called “Don’t Come Home Pretty Woman.” Reminiscent of a … Read More
- PREMIERE: Download "Penn's Woods," a song from Bucks County one-man band Jeremiah Tall
- Groove to three new songs from Night Panther on the Kiss EP
Having released three energetic cuts from their upcoming debut album, The Sixties are stirring up lots of buzz around the release and tonight it peaks with their show at Milkboy. Listing Queens of the Stone Age and The Whigs among … Read More
- Not going to SXSW? Don't worry. WXPN is bringing SXSW to you.
- April's Communion Showcase hosts The Lawsuits, Banned Books, Gretchen Lohse and more
This week is the SXSW music conference in Austin, Texas – something you pretty much can’t miss if you frequent the music blogosphere. But if you’re staying home in Philly and find yourself scrolling through photos and tweets about amazing … Read More
- Just announced: A double dose of Phish at the Mann in July
- WXPN Welcomes Conor Oberst to Union Transfer on May 21st
Anais Mitchell and Jefferson Hamer performed at the Tin Angel this past Friday, evening, April 19, with Robert Sarazin Blake opening. Mitchell and Hamer recently released Child Ballads, a collection of traditional songs from the British Isles, named after their … Read More
- The Week So Far: 14 must-read stories on The Key
- Folkadelphia Session: Anais Mitchell
Tonight's Concert Picks: Mike Bell & The Movies at The Fire, The Jawn at M Room, Cold Fronts at Johnny Brenda's and more...
Mike Bell & The Movies play The Fire tonight. The power pop / punk band out of Philadelphia (featuring members of Algernon Cadwallader and Dangerous Ponies) released a new record called Nothing Works a few weeks ago, following up their Stuck in … Read More
- Tonight's Concert Picks: Auctioneer at Johnny Brenda's, Eternal Summers at Boot and Saddle, Air is Human at Ortlieb's
- PREMIERE: Philly art-poppers Auctioneer debut the melodic "Hard to Believe It"