As part of this year’s 885 Greatest Rock Songs countdown on WXPN, we asked a number well-known Philadelphians to share their own picks for the best rock and roll moments of all time. Today we bring you the top picks from Philadelphia Inquirer music critic Dan DeLuca.
- James Brown – “I Don’t Want Nobody To Give Me Nothing (Open Up The Door, I’ll Get It Myself)”
- Tom Petty – “Listen To Her Heart”
- Rolling Stones – “Rocks Off”
- The Ronettes – “Be My Baby”
- Chuck Berry – “Brown Eyed Handsome Man”
Philly rockers Nothing recorded a cover of Low’s “In Metal” for Record Store Day. You can download the song for free below. The band posted on their Facebook page: Recorded a song at home on an anxiety ridden Friday night. … Read More
- Belgium's Ignatz channels heartland America, plays Pageant: Soloveev Gallery on 4/22
- The Week's Best Free MP3s, incl. Rodrigo y Gabriela, Elegant Animals, Railroad Earth and more
In George Herriman’s classic Krazy Kat comics, Ignatz is the main antagonist, a belligerent mouse whose habit of hurling bricks at the title character’s head only endears him to her. His anarchic aggression seems an ill fit for Belgian guitarist … Read More
- Photos: La Dispute, Pianos Become the Teeth, Mansions get heavy at Union Transfer
- Kate Faust embraces intuition in new "Matter Of Trust" video
New wave icon Boy George warmed up for his show tonight at the TLA with a rousing Free at Noon set before a sold-out World Cafe Live crowd. Having just collaborated with co-headliners Black Lips on a cover of T. … Read More
- Cheerleader promises new single, and they deliver with a satisfying preview
- Philly punk party Rockers! returns to showcase diversity in a multisensory weekend festival
As of yesterday evening, the annual WXPN countdown is a wrap. Thanks to everyone who voted, we celebrated immense volumes of rock and roll nostalgia over the past week, and exactly one brilliant practical joke was played by afternoon host … Read More
- 885 Greatest Rock Song Countdown Guest List: The Intelligencer's Naila Francis shares her top picks
- 885 Greatest Rock Song Countdown Guest List: FOX 29 Reporter Jennaphr Frederick's Top Five Choices
This summer, the city of Philadelphia will host Make Music Philly: a new, day-long event on June 21. That’s the solstice, the longest day of the year, and it will be filled with free music events of all sorts across … Read More
- 885 Greatest Rock Countdown Guest List: A.D. Amorosi's favorite rock selections
- Marah apologizes to Philly for playing the suckiest show that ever sucked; plans free show in January
Wow, what a whirlwind of an afternoon! We just wrapped up with the Public Radio Rocks SXSW showcase starring Damon Albarn, Lucius, The Hold Steady, Phantogram, Jeremy Messersmith and Temples – curated in collaboration with WFUV in New York, KUTX … Read More
- XPN Weekend Arts Crawl...Chinese New Year celebrations plus vibrant theater and dance!
- Tonight's Concert Picks: Up The Chain at Ardmore Music Hall, Weird Hot at Johnny Brenda's, August Burns Red at Union Transfer, and more...