Local indie-rock musician Frank Cervantes recently released a color-drenched new video for his song “Shy Away” (a collaboration with local filmmaker Steve Koppenhafer’s Painted Desert Productions). The song comes from the Moorestown, NJ native’s impressive Forgotten Summer feull-length, released in June on his Bandcamp; the album walking a line between rollicking rock a la Delta Spirit on the title track “Forgotten Summer” and some Kurt Vile-esque finger picking on “Keep the Line Drawn.” Below, watch the video for “Shy Away,” and see Cervantes live at the North Star Bar on November 16. Go here for tickets and more information about the 21+ show.
“I feel so much more empowered when I’m onstage with the band,” says Katie Frank. “I can be timid when it comes to singing my songs.” Timid. Hearing that word comes as a bit of a surprise since, in person, … Read More
- Listen to a quirky new single from Sarah Koon called "Pretty Simple"
- Black Francis to Magnet: Philly didn't get an encore 'cause Philly didn't earn an encore
When Pattern is Movement played a set of brand new songs at Union Transfer back in October, the one that stood out the most was a slick and smokin’ midtempo groover with dynamic vocal harmonies. Turns out the song is … Read More
- Modern Baseball's "Your Graduation" video will make you want to skateboard and slam dance in the FDR Park snow
- Tonight's Concert Picks: Auctioneer at Johnny Brenda's, Eternal Summers at Boot and Saddle, Air is Human at Ortlieb's
Milton may be new to the local music scene, but he’s already proving to have something interesting up his sleeve on his debut album Simple Pleasures. It begins with a pair of laid-back, groovy R&B tracks that welcome the listener … Read More
- Bridging rock and classical music, Andrew Lipke wows at Sundays On Stage
- Tonight's Concert Picks: Communion Philadelphia with Vacationer and Pearl and the Beard at Underground Arts, The Wonder Years at Chameleon Club, TJ Kong at Kung Fu Necktie and more
Wilmington, DE musician Sarah Koon has released a new single called “Pretty Simple,” taken from her forthcoming EP This Kind of Education. The track forms around Koon’s beautifully executed piano playing, swirling out in cinematic fashion with several mood and … Read More
- Indulge in Simple Pleasures courtesy of neo-soul newcomer Milton
- Review: Marian Hill's Play
Experimental Philly duo Air is Human will take up residency at Ortlieb’s this month and, as music to our ears, the shows will all be free. Every Wednesday night, Air is Human will have a hand-picked opener and jam out … Read More
- PREMIERE: Philly art-poppers Auctioneer debut the melodic "Hard to Believe It"
- XPN Weekend Arts Crawl--The Philadelphia Flower Show heralds spring and flamenco heats up Philadelphia!
Twee pop band Catnaps took a permanent rest last spring, but that doesn’t mean the members have stopped playing music altogether. Front ladies of the band Adrienne Gold and Carolyn Haynes are both taking on new, individual projects. Gold’s Tender … Read More
- Laser Background release new video for "Pinwheels" (playing Kungfu Necktie 7/12)
- Laser Background releases a zany music video for "Weird Conscience" (playing Kungfu Necktie on 7/19)