Creating the iconic image for Orange County punk bands, Social Distortion exploded onto the music scene in the ’80s with hits like “Mommy’s Little Monster” and “Mass Hysteria,” forever changing the path for West Coast garage bands. The group, currently on tour supporting their 2011 Hard Times and Nursery Rhymes, is playing tonight at the Electric Factory. Tickets for the 8:30 show are available here. Below, check out the video for their 1990 classic, “Story of My Life.”
American-Belgian singer/songwriter Trixie Whitley will be performing at Milkboy Philly tonight. Whitley’s forthcoming debut album, Fourth Corner, will be released January 29, 2013. The 21+ show tonight starts at 9:30; more ticket information can be found here. Five tracks from Trixie’s album can be downloaded from NoiseTrade for free prior to the release of Fourth Corner here. Below, watch Whitley’s video for “A Thousand Thieves”.
The revival of the 215 Festival Music Showcase presents the Bibliodiscotheque Dance Party tonight at Underground Arts featuring Lushlife, Light Heat, Lily & the Parlour Tricks, and the Dave Quicks Trio. Proceeds from the event, which is only $5.00, will go to Mighty Writers. The event starts at 8; more information can be found here. Below, listen to “Dance The Cosmos Light” from Light Heat.
Come celebrate the release of The Parsnip Revolt’s new full-length album, A Sunshine Report tonight at World Cafe Live. In addition to performances from The Lux and Rodger Delany, each guest at the event will go home with a copy of A Sunshine Report. Tickets for the 9 pm show are available here. Below, listen to the first single from A Sunshine Report, “You Can’t Save Me.”
XPN Welcomes Diego Garcia to Tin Angel tonight. Garcia, the former frontman of indie rock band Elefant, is currently touring promoting his solo 2011 album, Laura. Tonight he will be playing back to back performances at 7:30 and 10:30; you can find tickets for the shows here. Below, watch Garcia’s perform “You Were Never There” from this year’s XPo Fest.
It’s going to be a good night for new projects from the regional punk scene. At Boot And Saddle, the band Thrills – the side project of Vacationer’s Michael Mullen that we told you about last month – makes its … Read More
- Tonight's Concert Picks: Mike Bell & The Movies at The Fire, The Jawn at M Room, Cold Fronts at Johnny Brenda's and more...
- Tonight's Concert Picks: John the Conqueror at Milkboy, Art Garfunkel at Philadelphia Museum of Art, Black Horse Motel with Song Dogs and Spirit & Dust at Boot & Saddle and more
Las Vegas rockers Imagine Dragons released their debut single “It’s Time” in August 2012. The song almost immediately captured the attention of music fans around the globe with its percussion-heavy, melodically rich chorus. The song is from the band’s debut … Read More
- Philly goth punks Far-Out Fangtooth share a spooky new clip for "Admit It" ahead of tour kickoff
- Download Flyermile's first single "End of Eve," catch their debut show tonight at Boot and Saddle
Watch Hiss Golden Messenger's full set from his August show at Johnny Brenda's (playing the Paradise of Bachelors showcase at Boot & Saddle on 10/19)
North Carolina’s Hiss Golden Messenger recently opened for Daughn Gibson at Johnny Brenda’s, performing songs from his 2013 LP Haw and a few from 2010′s Poor Moon debut. It was a mesmerizing, mostly solo set by M.C. Taylor (though he was joined by … Read More
- The Week So Far: 12 must-read stories on The Key (incl. Our Griffins, Made in America Festival, Kate Faust)
- Mark your calendars for the 215 Festival, October 17th through the 20th
As his jet black silhouette does all the talking and emoting in front of a plain white background, Diego Garcia is calm and persuasive in offering his shoulder to cry on in his new video for “Tell Me”. Lifted from … Read More
- Photos: Diego Garcia and his band serenaded World Cafe Live
- Tonight's Concert Picks: The Orb at The Trocadero, James Hunter Six at World Cafe Live at The Queen, XPN Welcomes Diego Garcia at World Cafe Live and more
Flogging Molly have been making celtic punk cool for nearly 15 years and tonight they’re taking the Electric Factory stage on their annual Green 17 Tour. For the 10th year in a row, the LA natives will play a bunch … Read More
- Tonight's Concert Picks: Matt Nathanson at Musicians On Call Benefit at World Cafe Live, Teen Men at Boot and Saddle, Mo Lowda and The Humble at the TLA and more
- Galactic and Charles Bradley bring a funk / soul feast to the Electric Factory
In September 2010, we started The Key because we wanted to offer the local music scene another platform to reach more audiences. We also started it because starting in the early aughts we noticed something happening here creatively amongst the … Read More
- The Walkmen, Sun Ra Arkestra, Sharon Van Etten, Spank Rock and others playing Rail Park Benefit at Union Transfer on 12/4
- Watch Light Heat perform "Dance the Cosmos Light" at Race Street Pier (playing Ortlieb's on 11/15)