A few weeks ago, Pitchfork.tv and La Blogotheque teamed up with Converse at the Pitchfork Music Festival Paris to film several episodes of Take Away Shows. To start of the series, Pitchfork shared The Walkmen‘s poignant take of “We Can’t Be Beat” from Heaven (check out a photo-recap of their set at the Festival here). Upcoming episodes will feature How to Dress Well, Jessie Ware and Cloud Nothings. The Walkmen return to Philadelphia for a show at Union Transfer on January 1st (tickets and information here).
“I feel so much more empowered when I’m onstage with the band,” says Katie Frank. “I can be timid when it comes to singing my songs.” Timid. Hearing that word comes as a bit of a surprise since, in person, … Read More
- Listen to a quirky new single from Sarah Koon called "Pretty Simple"
- Black Francis to Magnet: Philly didn't get an encore 'cause Philly didn't earn an encore
When Pattern is Movement played a set of brand new songs at Union Transfer back in October, the one that stood out the most was a slick and smokin’ midtempo groover with dynamic vocal harmonies. Turns out the song is … Read More
- Modern Baseball's "Your Graduation" video will make you want to skateboard and slam dance in the FDR Park snow
- Tonight's Concert Picks: Auctioneer at Johnny Brenda's, Eternal Summers at Boot and Saddle, Air is Human at Ortlieb's
Milton may be new to the local music scene, but he’s already proving to have something interesting up his sleeve on his debut album Simple Pleasures. It begins with a pair of laid-back, groovy R&B tracks that welcome the listener … Read More
- Bridging rock and classical music, Andrew Lipke wows at Sundays On Stage
- Tonight's Concert Picks: Communion Philadelphia with Vacationer and Pearl and the Beard at Underground Arts, The Wonder Years at Chameleon Club, TJ Kong at Kung Fu Necktie and more
Experimental Philly duo Air is Human will take up residency at Ortlieb’s this month and, as music to our ears, the shows will all be free. Every Wednesday night, Air is Human will have a hand-picked opener and jam out … Read More
- PREMIERE: Philly art-poppers Auctioneer debut the melodic "Hard to Believe It"
- XPN Weekend Arts Crawl--The Philadelphia Flower Show heralds spring and flamenco heats up Philadelphia!
Photos: The Walkmen, Sun Ra Arkestra, Spank Rock and more played Union Transfer to raise money for The Rail Park
Lest it be overlooked amid all the (well-deserved) attention paid to their final show, The Walkmen were just one of about nine acts on the stage at Union Transfer last Wednesday, from Spank Rock to Sun Ra Arkestra, all of … Read More
- Indie rockers to pay tribute to The Byrds' Gene Clark at Union Transfer on January 22nd
- The Walkmen are going on "extreme hiatus" according to bassist Peter Bauer
Philly space rockers The War on Drugs are often seen as unsmiling, super-serious vibe-wranglers. But they’re actually pretty funny dudes. When they’re not getting the candid long-form profile treatment in Grantland or crafting records full of dramatic atmospheres (Lost in … Read More
- Locals mewithoutYou and LA's Touche Amore bring the energy to Union Transfer
- Tonight's Concert Picks: Cheerleader at Kung Fu Necktie, Schoolboy Q at The Trocadero, Robyn Hitchcock at Sellersville Theater and more