Take a listen to this new one from Philly singer-songwriter Heyward Howkins. “Praline Country” is Howkins at his best – it’s melodically on-point and vocally distinctive, with the southern breeze of previous tracks like “Spanish Moss” and “The Live Oak.” The song comes in anticipation of Howkins’ next record, a follow-up to this year’s beautifully stirring debut The Hale & Hearty. Heyward Howkins will play PhilaMOCA on December 6th with Birdie Busch and Casey Neill; more information can be found here. Listen to and download “Praline Country” below, and watch a video of him playing the song for his Handsome Lady Records session.
Every year new traditions begin and that’s why I’ve invited The Hooligans back in to join me this coming Monday, March 17th for my St. Patrick’s Day Leicht Lunch at Noon. I’ll be previewing their appearance on the show by playing … Read More
- Watch Thee, Idea Men perform "Help Me Mama" live at Milkboy
- Former Philadelphians Cheers Elephant release lyric video for "Peoples"
This week is the SXSW music conference in Austin, Texas – something you pretty much can’t miss if you frequent the music blogosphere. But if you’re staying home in Philly and find yourself scrolling through photos and tweets about amazing … Read More
- Just announced: A double dose of Phish at the Mann in July
- WXPN Welcomes Conor Oberst to Union Transfer on May 21st
Local outfit Bondage & Discipline have released their debut single, a lush electronic / pop track called “Only Your Love.” The former National Rifle members formed the trio at the end of 2013, explaining that “although the name suggests a strong contrast … Read More
- Cody ChesnuTT teams up with Gary Clark, Jr on "Gunpowder On The Letter"
- Not going to SXSW? Don't worry. WXPN is bringing SXSW to you.
Tonight's Concert Picks: Birdie Busch at Boot and Saddle, Tony Trischka at Sellersville Theater, and Dream Safari at Kung Fu Necktie
Philly folk goddess Birdie Busch will play at Boot and Saddle tonight. Busch released her latest album Birdie Busch and the Greatest Night earlier this year, further illustrating her unique songwriting and dreamy vocals. Watch her new video for “Far … Read More
- Watch The Rivals cover "Be the Arrow" by Birdie Busch (playing MilkBoy on 12/19)
- Photos: The Walkmen, Sun Ra Arkestra, Spank Rock and more played Union Transfer to raise money for The Rail Park
Weekender brought their Spanish Peaks EP in for a Key Studio Session, recording the debut effort’s four tracks live. The fuzzy psych / pop four-piece are currently working a full-length with Kyle Johnson set for release early next year, and they’ll … Read More
- Unlocked: Scenes and sounds of Heyward Howkins' Be Frank, Furness release at Johnny Brenda's
- Unlocked: Heyward Howkins on songwriting, personal discovery and the power of using interesting language
To celebrate the release of its new album Old Evil, Broken Beak (aka Beau Brynes) heads to PhilaMOCA tonight for a hometown show. Centered around simple acoustic arrangements, Brynes’ songs are marked by a trail of quiet, unassuming beauty. Listen … Read More
- Tonight's Concert Picks: July Talk at MilkBoy, Dark Blue at PhilaMOCA, Caroline Smith at Boot and Saddle
- Members of Clockcleaner, Paint It Black and Purling Hiss join forces in the rumbling new Dark Blue