All week on World Cafe with David Dye, the Sense of Place series is exploring the city of Memphis and its musical heritage. Today, we take a video tour of historic Sun Studio – where Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash and more recorded their hit singles. You can listen to the Sense of Place series on WXPN at 2 p.m. Monday through Friday all this week, or at 7 p.m. on XPN2: Singer-Songwriter Radio.
Local indie hip-hop act Halfro have a sound that’s quite refreshing. They’re a full band that plays passionate, melodic music in a genre that rarely focuses on bands, but rather solo acts. Recently, they stripped down Jay-Z’s “Somewhere in America”, … Read More
- Just Announced: Brandon Boyd and Sons of the Sea to play TLA 1/29
- The Hundred Acre Woods set to release Cold In The Morning EP January 14th (playing Rock Bottom II on 1/1)
All week on World Cafe with David Dye, the Sense of Place series is exploring the city of Nashville and its rich heritage in country music and beyond. Today, David Dye gets a tour of the modern-day mecca for vinyl … Read More
- Nashville Sense of Place: Learn about the concert poster business at the legendary Hatch Show Print
- Nashville Sense of Place: Download the World Cafe Next segment about Luella and the Sun
Pissed Jeans sure know how to make the most of two and a half minutes. The first single from the local band’s upcoming Honeys LP is called “Cathouse,” and it’s a relentless punk jam with a killer shred explosion two … Read More
- Memphis Sense of Place: American Sound Studio, then and now
- Memphis Sense of Place: Download Rev. John Wilkins performance of "Prodigal Son"
All photos by Laura Jane Brubaker | laurajanebrubaker.tumblr.com Los Angeles-based Mexican-American band La Santa Cecilia brought their lively show to World Cafe Live on Tuesday night for the first World Cafe Latin Roots live broadcast. Check out a gallery of … Read More
- In case you missed it: Listen to Pearl Jam on World Cafe, interviewed by Judd Apatow
- Listen to part two of Judd Apatow's interview with Pearl Jam via World Cafe and NPR Music