All week on World Cafe with David Dye, the Sense of Place series is exploring the city of Memphis and its musical heritage. Today, we listen in on the World Cafe concert recorded with Memphis blues musician Rev. John Wilkins. Below, download his performance of “Prodigal Son,” written by his father, Rev. Robert Wilkins, later recorded by The Rolling Stones on Beggar’s Banquet. You can listen to the Sense of Place series on WXPN at 2 p.m. Monday through Friday all this week, or at 7 p.m. on XPN2: Singer-Songwriter Radio.
A lot of what you read about Railroad Earth vibes with what we’re preaching here with Folkadelphia. We live in an era of music-making beyond traditional genre indentifiers, or alternatively, where “big” genres like “hip-hop” and “folk” have been exploded … Read More
- Download Rodrigo y Gabriela's "The Soundmaker"; buy tickets to see them at #XPNFest
- Forget trying to classify them and just listen: Railroad Earth's Session, and "Katie Cruel's" importance in music, tonight on Folkadelphia Radio
New wave icon Boy George warmed up for his show tonight at the TLA with a rousing Free at Noon set before a sold-out World Cafe Live crowd. Having just collaborated with co-headliners Black Lips on a cover of T. … Read More
- Listen back to Black Lips' scuzzed-out Free at Noon set, featuring Boy George
- Guitar deities and #xpnfest artists Rodrigo y Gabriela give a taste of their new album in "The Russian Messenger"
Guitar deities and #xpnfest artists Rodrigo y Gabriela give a taste of their new album in "The Russian Messenger"
There may be no two people on earth who play the guitar like Rodrigo y Gabriela. The XPoNential Music Fest artists are a harmonious duo who blend rock with flamenco, metal, jazz and more. They are finger magicians, with Rodrigo’s … Read More
- Cheerleader promises new single, and they deliver with a satisfying preview
- Rock out as #xpnfest artist The Hold Steady covers XPN faves Deer Tick
When news broke early this morning that iconic folk singer and activist Pete Seeger died yesterday at the age of 94, one of the first responses we saw was a Tweet from WXPN’s David Dye, host of World Cafe: Very … Read More
- Tonight's Concert Picks: Glenn Tilbrook at World Cafe Live, Funky Blues Finale w/ James Cotton and David Dye at TLA, mewithoutYou at Musikfest Cafe
- David Dye's Sense of Place trip to Rio uncovers the second most recorded song ever
All week on World Cafe with David Dye, the Sense of Place series is exploring the city of Memphis and its musical heritage. Today, we continue David’s Top Fives by exploring the city’s famed BBQ scene. You can listen to … Read More
- Memphis Sense of Place: David Dye's Top Five Recording Studios
All week on World Cafe with David Dye, the Sense of Place series is exploring the city of Nashville and its rich heritage in country music and beyond. Today, David Dye gets a tour of the modern-day mecca for vinyl … Read More
- Nashville Sense of Place: Learn about the concert poster business at the legendary Hatch Show Print
- Nashville Sense of Place: Download the World Cafe Next segment about Luella and the Sun