All week on World Cafe with David Dye, the Sense of Place series is exploring the city of Memphis and its musical heritage. Today, David Dye is exploring the late great American Sound Studio, where Elvis Presley recorded his final number-one hit, “Suspicious Minds,” in 1969. Above, check out a photo of the studio in its heyday. Below, see the studio in the mid-80s, and a video tour of the room shot in 1987. At the bottom, see what the site of American Sound Studio looks like today. You can listen to the Sense of Place series on WXPN at 2 p.m. Monday through Friday all this week, or at 7 p.m. on XPN2: Singer-Songwriter Radio.
Three scuzzy rock acts set up shop at a packed Boot & Saddle last Saturday evening. NYC based garage rock quartet, Total Slacker opened the show. Their fun punk rockyness and energetic vibe got the crowd movin’ just in time … Read More
- Unlocked: Check out a gallery of photos from Katie Frank and The Pheromones' album release party by Caitlin McCann
- An evening of folk, rock and country inflected music from the Cowboy Junkies
When news broke early this morning that iconic folk singer and activist Pete Seeger died yesterday at the age of 94, one of the first responses we saw was a Tweet from WXPN’s David Dye, host of World Cafe: Very … Read More
- Tonight's Concert Picks: Glenn Tilbrook at World Cafe Live, Funky Blues Finale w/ James Cotton and David Dye at TLA, mewithoutYou at Musikfest Cafe
- David Dye's Sense of Place trip to Rio uncovers the second most recorded song ever
All week on World Cafe with David Dye, the Sense of Place series is exploring the city of Nashville and its rich heritage in country music and beyond. Today, David Dye gets a tour of the modern-day mecca for vinyl … Read More
- Nashville Sense of Place: Learn about the concert poster business at the legendary Hatch Show Print
- Nashville Sense of Place: Download the World Cafe Next segment about Luella and the Sun
Pissed Jeans sure know how to make the most of two and a half minutes. The first single from the local band’s upcoming Honeys LP is called “Cathouse,” and it’s a relentless punk jam with a killer shred explosion two … Read More
- Memphis Sense of Place: Download Rev. John Wilkins performance of "Prodigal Son"
- Memphis Sense of Place: David Dye's top five sites
This is it! It’s the last chance to get your 20 Free World Cafe Downloads to Get You Through February. All month long, David Dye has opened up the Cafe archives to bring you free mp3s of incredible performances by … Read More
- Download a World Cafe performance of She & Him's "I Could Have Been Your Girl"
- Download a World Cafe performance of "Dear Ramona" by Parquet Courts