We’ve got to hand it to Jim James – for such a hot commodity (two Philly shows sold out in less than 24 hours), he’s not afraid to keep things interesting and unusual. Of course, that’s exactly what makes him so in-demand. A new music video for “New Life” from Regions of Light and Sound of God starts off hushed and acoustic in a minimally lit room – whether musically or visually, James’ knows how to strike a way-intimate tone – but as the beat kicks in, he walks through a doorway and into a delightfully surreal take on the Great Plains. Watch the video in the player below. Jim James plays a sold-out Johnny Brenda’s on February 19th and a sold-out Union Transfer on April 27th.
Hear Milagres play live, plus new music from Sharon Van Etten, Metronomy, Black Lips and more on tonight's Indie Rock Hit Parade
Tonight’s Indie Rock Hit Parade is the definition of a doozy. Starting at 10pm tonight, catch a full two-hour mix of fresh new tracks and deep classic gems. In addition to a spotlight on the new Real Estate album, we … Read More
- An evening of folk, rock and country inflected music from the Cowboy Junkies
- Electronic rockers Liars playing Underground Arts on May 7th
Tonight's Concert Picks: John the Conqueror at Milkboy, Art Garfunkel at Philadelphia Museum of Art, Black Horse Motel with Song Dogs and Spirit & Dust at Boot & Saddle and more
John the Conqueror celebrate the release of The Good Life at Milkboy tonight. Formed in 2010 by Mississippi natives Pierre Moore and Mike Gardner with Philadelphian Ryan Lynn, the trio has spent its short career creating a sound that keeps … Read More
- Groove to Pattern is Movement's new track "Climb to Me"
- Modern Baseball's "Your Graduation" video will make you want to skateboard and slam dance in the FDR Park snow
Last Saturday night at the Dennis Flyer Theater at Camden Community College in Blackwood, N.J., folk-rockers Cowboy Junkies took center stage. Playing to a one-third-full auditorium did nothing to diminish the quintet’s performance, and Margo Timmins’ vocals were stunning, despite … Read More
- Tonight's Concert Picks: John the Conqueror at Milkboy, Art Garfunkel at Philadelphia Museum of Art, Black Horse Motel with Song Dogs and Spirit & Dust at Boot & Saddle and more
- XPN Weekend Arts Crawl...First Friday, Sustainability and Women's History Month!
Last month, alt-rock icons Pixies played a double-header show in Philly, following up a lively stripped-down Free at Noon at XPN with an electrifying headlining set at the Electric Factory. Well, electrifying except for one thing. There was no encore. … Read More
- TJ Kong and the Atomic Bomb announce new EP Kong, throwing tour kick-off show at Kung Fu Necktie on 3/6
- Philly experimental duo Air is Human usurp Ortlieb's every Wednesday in March
My Morning Download(s): ATO Records new music sampler featuring Jim James, Kopecky Family Band, Okkervil River and more
What? A free music sampler with songs from Jim James, the Kopecky Family Band, Caitlin Rose, the Alabama Shakes, Okkervil River, and Midlake? We’re sold. Hopefully in exchange for your e-mail address you are too. Read More
- Firefly Day Two Roundup: Jim James, Edward Sharpe, Chvrches and more
- My Morning Jacket frontman Jim James remixes Bob Marley (MMJ playing XPoNential Music Festival/AmericanaRama Festival of Music in July)
Tonight's Concert Picks: Auctioneer at Johnny Brenda's, Eternal Summers at Boot and Saddle, Air is Human at Ortlieb's
Philly art-pop outfit Auctioneer headlines Johnny Brenda’s tonight. Singer and songwriter Craig Hendrix is in the midst of working on a new album – in between his stint playing keyboards in bands like Birdie Busch and The Greatest Night – … Read More
- PREMIERE: Philly art-poppers Auctioneer debut the melodic "Hard to Believe It"
- Unlocked: Going deep into the creative process of Creepoid