Local folks including Ape School, Tadoma and King Britt – as well as outside-Philly names Benoît Pioulard and Lymbyc System – tried their hand at remixing Arc In Round‘s layered and heavy debut LP in the new ::::remixed:::: collection, available today as a free download. The set contains eight reconstructions of songs like “Spirit” (morphed into a driving krautrock rager by Pink Skull) and “II” (made all pulsing and dreamy by A Sunny Day in Glasgow), as well as two unreleased songs – “Even” and “Days Untried.” Give it a listen below, and download it at Bandcamp.
“I feel so much more empowered when I’m onstage with the band,” says Katie Frank. “I can be timid when it comes to singing my songs.” Timid. Hearing that word comes as a bit of a surprise since, in person, … Read More
- Listen to a quirky new single from Sarah Koon called "Pretty Simple"
- Black Francis to Magnet: Philly didn't get an encore 'cause Philly didn't earn an encore
Local musician James Cuartero has released a new EP called What It’s Like When You Are Desperate for a New Life. Recording as That Dream Was Our Life, Cuartero is in the midst of a year-long project that will see him … Read More
- Bounce to "Little Ghost," the new single from Philly electro-popper W.C. Lindsay
- The Key Studio Sessions: Marah
Wilmington, DE musician Sarah Koon has released a new single called “Pretty Simple,” taken from her forthcoming EP This Kind of Education. The track forms around Koon’s beautifully executed piano playing, swirling out in cinematic fashion with several mood and … Read More
- Indulge in Simple Pleasures courtesy of neo-soul newcomer Milton
- Review: Marian Hill's Play
Listen to A Sunny Day in Glasgow's new track "In Love With Useless (The Timeless Geometry In The Tradition of Passing)"
Dream-pop band A Sunny Day in Glasgow are back with a new track titled “In Love With Useless (The Timeless Geometry in The Tradition of Passing)”. The band released their second album Autumn, Again back in 2010 and are currently … Read More
- A Sunny Day in Glasgow performing, providing live soundtrack to films at International House's Spring Arts Preview on 1/17
- Meet Wasn't Wisn't, a new old side project from A Sunny Day in Glasgow
Tonight's Concert Picks: XPN Welcomes a Tribute to The Last Waltz at The Trocadero, The Menzingers at The Note, Purling Hiss at Kung Fu Necktie and more
Philly musicians from Andrew Lipke to Kevin Hanson and Wesley Stace will honor and recreate The Band’s 1976 farewell show, The Last Waltz, tonight at the Trocadero. The set will include a full performance of the seminal live album (and … Read More
- Say farewell to Ape School at Boot & Saddle on 11/30
- Go into orbit with Ape School's Michael Johnson in the "Fly Your Bullshit to the Moon" video (playing MilkBoy tonight)
John Pfeffer (of Capillary Action) released new track "Bodega", co-starring a wide variety of fellow Philly artists
John Pfeffer of Capillary Action is a unique songwriter. Having dabbled in free-form avant-rock in the past with his band - which, as he acknowledges, has been more like a name he uses for whatever music he’s currently working on – … Read More
- The Week's Best MP3 Downloads, incl. Arc in Round, Moon Palace, Magic Man
- Space out to two new songs from Arc in Round's Jeff Zeigler (playing the First Unitarian Chapel on 3/25)