With so many performances and surprises happening all over the city last Saturday for Record Store Day, it was impossible to see every great moment. Luckily, the Bands in the Backyard crew staked out a spot at AKA Music in Old City for the store’s showcase of local music by Heyward Howkins, Mikele Edwards, Bridge Underwater and Restorations. Check out two videos BITBY filmed during the day featuring Bridge Underwater and Restorations below.
“I feel so much more empowered when I’m onstage with the band,” says Katie Frank. “I can be timid when it comes to singing my songs.” Timid. Hearing that word comes as a bit of a surprise since, in person, … Read More
- Listen to a quirky new single from Sarah Koon called "Pretty Simple"
- Black Francis to Magnet: Philly didn't get an encore 'cause Philly didn't earn an encore
Last month, alt-rock icons Pixies played a double-header show in Philly, following up a lively stripped-down Free at Noon at XPN with an electrifying headlining set at the Electric Factory. Well, electrifying except for one thing. There was no encore. … Read More
- TJ Kong and the Atomic Bomb announce new EP Kong, throwing tour kick-off show at Kung Fu Necktie on 3/6
- Philly experimental duo Air is Human usurp Ortlieb's every Wednesday in March
Experimental Philly duo Air is Human will take up residency at Ortlieb’s this month and, as music to our ears, the shows will all be free. Every Wednesday night, Air is Human will have a hand-picked opener and jam out … Read More
- PREMIERE: Philly art-poppers Auctioneer debut the melodic "Hard to Believe It"
- XPN Weekend Arts Crawl--The Philadelphia Flower Show heralds spring and flamenco heats up Philadelphia!
A crowd gathered in A.K.A. Music in Old City Tuesday night not to peruse records, but to watch The Districts celebrate the release of their debut EP with Fat Possum Records. Ranging from devout listeners to random passersby, the buzzing … Read More
- The Districts gain more recognition before embarking on tour
- Free Show: Philebrity presents Lantern at A.K.A. Music on 9/6
Year End Mania is the Key’s survey of the things below the surface that made 2013 awesome. In this installment, our trusted reporter Kate Bracaglia talks Philly tunes. Living in Philadelphia, I’m always blown away by how many amazing artists … Read More
- Awesome Record Store Day event alert: Philebrity and AKA Music present Restorations, Bridge Underwater, Heyward Howkins and Mikele Edwards on Saturday, April 20
- Watch Bridge Underwater perform "Dead Man" for Bands in the Backyard
Singer-songwriter Billy Bragg was a busy guy this past Saturday. He did an in-store performance at Main Street Music in Manayunk for Record Store Day, and played the Keswick Theatre in the evening. All photos by Chris Sikich; check out … Read More
- Happy Record Store Day! Let the vinyl spin and the music play!
- Who's selling what, who's appearing where on Record Store Day (coming this Saturday 4/20)