This Friday, hundreds of events will occur all over the city for Make Music Philly, with countless artists from the area and countless genres represented – how do you figure out who to see? That’s where we come into the picture. To help you narrow down your choices, we’ll be bringing you Make Music Philly spotlights all week.
One artist you should not miss this Friday is Heyward Howkins. A folk singer from Philadelphia, Heyward Howkins released his incredible debut LP Hale & Hearty last summer and is already preparing a follow-up. With quirky yet catchy rhythms and songs that make lyrical references to the greater Philadelphia area, Howkins makes music like no other. If you’re looking for an original artist and beautiful music, check out Heyward Howkins at Ortlieb’s Longue this Friday at 6 p.m.
Hear Milagres play live, plus new music from Sharon Van Etten, Metronomy, Black Lips and more on tonight's Indie Rock Hit Parade
Tonight’s Indie Rock Hit Parade is the definition of a doozy. Starting at 10pm tonight, catch a full two-hour mix of fresh new tracks and deep classic gems. In addition to a spotlight on the new Real Estate album, we … Read More
- An evening of folk, rock and country inflected music from the Cowboy Junkies
- Electronic rockers Liars playing Underground Arts on May 7th
Tonight's Concert Picks: John the Conqueror at Milkboy, Art Garfunkel at Philadelphia Museum of Art, Black Horse Motel with Song Dogs and Spirit & Dust at Boot & Saddle and more
John the Conqueror celebrate the release of The Good Life at Milkboy tonight. Formed in 2010 by Mississippi natives Pierre Moore and Mike Gardner with Philadelphian Ryan Lynn, the trio has spent its short career creating a sound that keeps … Read More
- Groove to Pattern is Movement's new track "Climb to Me"
- Modern Baseball's "Your Graduation" video will make you want to skateboard and slam dance in the FDR Park snow
Last Saturday night at the Dennis Flyer Theater at Camden Community College in Blackwood, N.J., folk-rockers Cowboy Junkies took center stage. Playing to a one-third-full auditorium did nothing to diminish the quintet’s performance, and Margo Timmins’ vocals were stunning, despite … Read More
- Tonight's Concert Picks: John the Conqueror at Milkboy, Art Garfunkel at Philadelphia Museum of Art, Black Horse Motel with Song Dogs and Spirit & Dust at Boot & Saddle and more
- XPN Weekend Arts Crawl...First Friday, Sustainability and Women's History Month!
Up until 1965, Bob Dylan was gaining incredible popularity on the American folk scene, playing the revered Newport Folk Festival in 1963 and 1964. When he returned for a third performance in 1965 Dylan did something that would change music … Read More
- Just Anounced: Members of Belle and Sebastian will DJ their own afterparty at Dolphin Tavern
- Free Download of He's My Brother She's My Sister (playing Firefly Festival)
Weekender brought their Spanish Peaks EP in for a Key Studio Session, recording the debut effort’s four tracks live. The fuzzy psych / pop four-piece are currently working a full-length with Kyle Johnson set for release early next year, and they’ll … Read More
- Unlocked: Scenes and sounds of Heyward Howkins' Be Frank, Furness release at Johnny Brenda's
- Unlocked: Heyward Howkins on songwriting, personal discovery and the power of using interesting language
The Front Bottoms released their fourth album Talon of the Hawk this past spring, and have been getting a good amount of attention for their unique style of indie punk. They have been praised for their creative lyrics and unconventional … Read More
- Watch the theme song from Boston DIY band Krill (playing Hong Kong Garden on 9/4)
- Tonight's Concert Picks: Jawnzap7 at The Note, Fly Fest in Lancaster, Shawn Mullins at Sellersville Theater