We just got word that A.K.A Music, one of our favorite Philly record stores, will co-host a free in-store performance on August 10th presented by locally-based music blog Yvynyl. The event includes sets by Whirr, a psychedelic rock sextet from Oakland lead by former Deafheaven guitarist Nick Bassett, and Nothing, the Philly heavy shoegaze group (and Key Studio Sessions alums) fronted by Dominic Palermo. The 2 p.m. performance is all-ages, which is awesome news for the under-21 fans who can’t make it to see both bands play Kung Fu Necktie‘s This is Hardcore After Party (21 and over). Below, listen to the track “Flashback” by Whirr, watch Nothing performing in our studio for the Key Sessions (care of BITBY) and find tickets and information here.
“I feel so much more empowered when I’m onstage with the band,” says Katie Frank. “I can be timid when it comes to singing my songs.” Timid. Hearing that word comes as a bit of a surprise since, in person, … Read More
- Listen to a quirky new single from Sarah Koon called "Pretty Simple"
- Black Francis to Magnet: Philly didn't get an encore 'cause Philly didn't earn an encore
Milton may be new to the local music scene, but he’s already proving to have something interesting up his sleeve on his debut album Simple Pleasures. It begins with a pair of laid-back, groovy R&B tracks that welcome the listener … Read More
- Bridging rock and classical music, Andrew Lipke wows at Sundays On Stage
- Tonight's Concert Picks: Communion Philadelphia with Vacationer and Pearl and the Beard at Underground Arts, The Wonder Years at Chameleon Club, TJ Kong at Kung Fu Necktie and more
Last month, alt-rock icons Pixies played a double-header show in Philly, following up a lively stripped-down Free at Noon at XPN with an electrifying headlining set at the Electric Factory. Well, electrifying except for one thing. There was no encore. … Read More
- TJ Kong and the Atomic Bomb announce new EP Kong, throwing tour kick-off show at Kung Fu Necktie on 3/6
- Philly experimental duo Air is Human usurp Ortlieb's every Wednesday in March
Experimental Philly duo Air is Human will take up residency at Ortlieb’s this month and, as music to our ears, the shows will all be free. Every Wednesday night, Air is Human will have a hand-picked opener and jam out … Read More
- PREMIERE: Philly art-poppers Auctioneer debut the melodic "Hard to Believe It"
- XPN Weekend Arts Crawl--The Philadelphia Flower Show heralds spring and flamenco heats up Philadelphia!
A crowd gathered in A.K.A. Music in Old City Tuesday night not to peruse records, but to watch The Districts celebrate the release of their debut EP with Fat Possum Records. Ranging from devout listeners to random passersby, the buzzing … Read More
- The Districts gain more recognition before embarking on tour
- Free Show: Philebrity presents Lantern at A.K.A. Music on 9/6
Tonight's Concert Picks: Communion Philadelphia with Vacationer and Pearl and the Beard at Underground Arts, The Wonder Years at Chameleon Club, TJ Kong at Kung Fu Necktie and more
Before getting back to work on a new album and kicking off a co-headlining tour with Hellogoodbye next month, Vacationer will headline this month’s Communion Club Night tonight at Underground Arts. The Philly-based pop band, who are working on their … Read More
- Tonight's Concert Picks: Cheerleader at Kung Fu Necktie, Schoolboy Q at The Trocadero, Robyn Hitchcock at Sellersville Theater and more
- Run, juggle, and run some more in Purples new video for "Variations"