Phil Anselmo is probably one of the most prolific figures in the world of metal today. Originally gaining fame as the singer for Pantera, Anselmo has since performed with his own groups Down, Superjoint Ritual, Phil Anselmo & The Illegals and a few others. Tonight, the famed metal singer will make his way to Union Transfer where he’ll play with his backing band The Illegals. Anselmo released his second solo album, Walk Through Exists Only, a month ago. Below, check out a song from his latest release and click here for ticket information for what’s sure to be an ear-melting show.
Moving into a completely different spectrum, tonight you can also catch the smooth soul stylings of British singer James Hunter. Although he hasn’t gained a lot of fame in the US, Hunter has become popular across the Atlantic for his warm R&B, full of the soul and raw emotion that was popular on 50s and 60s radio. This year, he released his fifth solo album, Minute By Minute, which really showcases his incredible voice. Below, check out the title track to the album and be sure to get tickets for his show at The Sellersville Theater tonight.
Three Philly cousins got together, one of the band Three 4 Tens, one a church organist and another from the Stone Pony house band, and formed the psych-rock band St. James & The Apostles. The band has released several EPs as well as their debut LP, Baphomet. Self-described as “Holy Acid Rock” St. James seem heavily influenced by bands like The Doors, The Rolling Stones, The Animals and a number of other classic rock and psychedelic bands with just the right amount of punk thrown into the mix. For a little dose of Philly psychedelia, their show tonight at Johnny Brenda’s is not one to miss, especially since it’s the unveiling of a new lineup featuring Jeff White on guitar and Ang Bocca on vocals. Check out “Let The Right One In / Garmonbozia” below and click here for ticket info.
Last on our list for today is Thee, Idea Men playing a free show with an incredible lineup at Milkboy in Philly. This quartet is also out of Philadelphia, creating a heavy kind of rock, that at times feels like Modest Mouse if they were constantly turned up to 11, with solid bit of Jon Spencer blues-rock as well. Last summer, the group released their infectious album, Getcho Groo Von. Below, you can check out the clever stop-motion for the title track, and click here for ticket info.
Phish have announced their summer tour plans with two shows in Philly. After they wrap up their three shows in Saratoga Springs over the July 4th weekend, the party continues in Fairmount Park when they play the Mann Center on … Read More
- April's Communion Showcase hosts The Lawsuits, Banned Books, Gretchen Lohse and more
- Commonwealth Choir and Big Tusk collaborate on limited edition tape release
PREMIERE: Whiskey swiggin' rockers TJ Kong and the Atomic Bomb brood and wail on "Don't Come Home Pretty Woman"
Whiskey swiggin’ folk-blues rockers TJ Kong and the Atomic Bomb announced a brand new 5-track EP last week, Kong, and today we bring you the premiere of a raw new track called “Don’t Come Home Pretty Woman.” Reminiscent of a … Read More
- PREMIERE: Download "Penn's Woods," a song from Bucks County one-man band Jeremiah Tall
- Groove to three new songs from Night Panther on the Kiss EP
Following this month’s strong showing at the Communion Club Night at Underground Arts, the monthly event has announced the bill for the next installment, taking place on April 3rd. NYC pop artist Johnny Stimson headlines, with support from local indie rockers The … Read More
- From Behind The Barricade: The Wonder Years tour kickoff had the Chameleon Club pulsing with energy
- Tonight's Concert Pick: Broken Beak at PhilaMOCA
Still energetic after their World Cafe Live show last night, The James Hunter Six entertained this afternoon’s Free at Noon crowd with an eight-song set. Check out photos of their performance above, read the setlist below, and listen to their … Read More
- Download "On My Mind, In My Heart" by Jesse Dee (playing Free At Noon this Friday with the James Hunter Six)
- Download a new song, "Minute By Minute" by The James Hunter Six (playing Thursday 2/28 at World Cafe Live and WXPN's Free At Noon on Friday 3/1)
Tonight's Concert Picks: Mike Bell & The Movies at The Fire, The Jawn at M Room, Cold Fronts at Johnny Brenda's and more...
Mike Bell & The Movies play The Fire tonight. The power pop / punk band out of Philadelphia (featuring members of Algernon Cadwallader and Dangerous Ponies) released a new record called Nothing Works a few weeks ago, following up their Stuck in … Read More
- Tonight's Concert Picks: Auctioneer at Johnny Brenda's, Eternal Summers at Boot and Saddle, Air is Human at Ortlieb's
- PREMIERE: Philly art-poppers Auctioneer debut the melodic "Hard to Believe It"
Tonight, as part of Camden’s Sunset Jazz series, there will be a free show called, “Jazz Funk & Soul” at Wiggins Park. The show includes Jeff Lorber, Evrette Harp and Chuck Loeb (pictured). Lorber, a Philly native and an incredibly … Read More
- Tonight's Concert Picks: Chuck Prophet & The Mission Express at World Cafe Live, Melvins at Underground Arts, Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah at TLA
- Tonight's Concert Picks: Wire at Union Transfer, Mac Miller at Festival Pier, Bosnian Rainbows at Underground Arts, Jucifer and Fantasy Panther at Kung Fu Necktie, Rosu Lup at The Fire