On Tuesday night, Chris Ward – drummer for Pattern is Movement – and Brendan Mulvihill – singer-songwriter-mandolinist for Norwegian Arms – guest DJed the XPN Philly Local show, in preparation for their bands’ appearances on an all-local lineup at Union Transfer tonight. They played a varied set that ran the gamut from krautrock-inspired underground music (Arc in Round) to mainstream hip-hop (Meek Mill), lo-fi DIY indie rock (Ghost Light) to supersonic space rock (The War on Drugs). Listen to an archive of their guest DJ set below, and get tickets and info on tonight’s show here.
Hear Milagres play live, plus new music from Sharon Van Etten, Metronomy, Black Lips and more on tonight's Indie Rock Hit Parade
Tonight’s Indie Rock Hit Parade is the definition of a doozy. Starting at 10pm tonight, catch a full two-hour mix of fresh new tracks and deep classic gems. In addition to a spotlight on the new Real Estate album, we … Read More
- An evening of folk, rock and country inflected music from the Cowboy Junkies
- Electronic rockers Liars playing Underground Arts on May 7th
Tonight's Concert Picks: John the Conqueror at Milkboy, Art Garfunkel at Philadelphia Museum of Art, Black Horse Motel with Song Dogs and Spirit & Dust at Boot & Saddle and more
John the Conqueror celebrate the release of The Good Life at Milkboy tonight. Formed in 2010 by Mississippi natives Pierre Moore and Mike Gardner with Philadelphian Ryan Lynn, the trio has spent its short career creating a sound that keeps … Read More
- Groove to Pattern is Movement's new track "Climb to Me"
- Modern Baseball's "Your Graduation" video will make you want to skateboard and slam dance in the FDR Park snow
Last Saturday night at the Dennis Flyer Theater at Camden Community College in Blackwood, N.J., folk-rockers Cowboy Junkies took center stage. Playing to a one-third-full auditorium did nothing to diminish the quintet’s performance, and Margo Timmins’ vocals were stunning, despite … Read More
- Tonight's Concert Picks: John the Conqueror at Milkboy, Art Garfunkel at Philadelphia Museum of Art, Black Horse Motel with Song Dogs and Spirit & Dust at Boot & Saddle and more
- XPN Weekend Arts Crawl...First Friday, Sustainability and Women's History Month!
Singer-songwriter Amelia White cut her teeth on Boston’s folk music scene before moving to Nashville over a decade ago. White has said her new album, Old Postcard, is about “home and family” as inspiration. She’s got a rich and husky … Read More
- Listen to a quirky new single from Sarah Koon called "Pretty Simple"
- Indulge in Simple Pleasures courtesy of neo-soul newcomer Milton
Shaking Through alums Snowmine from Brooklyn co-headlined Johnny Brenda’s on Friday night with Philly’s Norwegian Arms in tow, making their first local appearance since they were on Pattern Is Movement’s record release show in October. Also on the lineup was … Read More
- Tonight's Concert Picks: Snowmine and Norwegian Arms at Johnny Brenda's, Chill Moody at Hard Rock Cafe, Tom Brosseau at Ortlieb's and more...
- Photos: A locals-only show with Pattern Is Movement, The Spinto Band, Norwegian Arms and more
When Pattern is Movement played a set of brand new songs at Union Transfer back in October, the one that stood out the most was a slick and smokin’ midtempo groover with dynamic vocal harmonies. Turns out the song is … Read More
- "It's Finally Here": Pattern is Movement release new single "River," announce details for self-titled LP
- The Key’s Year-End Mania: Sameer Rao’s Top 5 Musical Gut-Punches of 2013