Countless people can say Pete Seeger influenced them – as musicians, or as songwriters, or as folks with an empathetic view of the world around them.
Few can say that Pete Seeger was their friend.
Gene Shay of WXPN’s Folk Show is one of those few, and this morning he phoned into the XPN airwaves to share his memories of Seeger – who died yesterday at 94 years old – with Morning Show host Michaela Majoun. Listen to their tribute to Seeger below.
Singer-songwriter Amelia White cut her teeth on Boston’s folk music scene before moving to Nashville over a decade ago. White has said her new album, Old Postcard, is about “home and family” as inspiration. She’s got a rich and husky … Read More
- Unlocked: How Katie Frank became the leader of The Pheromones
- Listen to a quirky new single from Sarah Koon called "Pretty Simple"
Headlong Dance Theater resumes its free special performances on First Fridays followed by a dance party. Headlong’s work has been called “a party, a communal provocation and a gathering around ideas and the bodies that hold them.” First Friday … Read More
- Indulge in Simple Pleasures courtesy of neo-soul newcomer Milton
- Bridging rock and classical music, Andrew Lipke wows at Sundays On Stage
Last month, alt-rock icons Pixies played a double-header show in Philly, following up a lively stripped-down Free at Noon at XPN with an electrifying headlining set at the Electric Factory. Well, electrifying except for one thing. There was no encore. … Read More
- TJ Kong and the Atomic Bomb announce new EP Kong, throwing tour kick-off show at Kung Fu Necktie on 3/6
- Philly experimental duo Air is Human usurp Ortlieb's every Wednesday in March
Get caught up on the week’s shows with reviews and photos from appearances by Miguel, Pearl Jam and more [link] Congratulations to XPN Folk Show host Gene Shay, who will be inducted into the Philadelphia Walk of Fame today [link] … Read More
- Gene Shay, to be inducted into the Philadelphia Walk Of Fame tomorrow, talks with XPN's Morning Show host Michaela Majoun
- WXPN's Gene Shay to be inducted in the Philadelphia Walk of Fame this Thursday, October 24th
The entrancing Johanna Warren and Andrea Tomasi, a Pete Seeger tribute and more, tonight on Folkadelphia Radio
It just so happens that one of the best concerts I went to in 2013 was one that I put together. During the evening, two Northeastern-based songsmiths performed and blew the audience and me away. We were entranced. These musicians … Read More
- "It's Kind of Like God has Died": Read David Dye's thoughts on the passing of Pete Seeger