The 2014 Non-COMMvention kicks off in a few hours and the schedule is jam-packed full of amazing showcases, talks and performances. Because there are so many great things going on, we wanted to highlight a few of the events that we are looking forward to seeing the most this year:
1. Opening night party (4-7pm) hosted by Columbia Records featuring an interview with HAIM – These sisters are completely dominating the scene right now. They played a sold out show on Saturday May 10th at Terminal 5 in NYC and we are more than excited to welcome them to the World Cafe Live stage. This event will be for nonCOMM attendees only.
2. Music showcase featuring Ásgeir (Weds, 7-7:25pm). A showcase is a perfect setting for the icelandic folk singer to show off his Bon Iver-like vocals accompanied by acoustic guitar. Check out Ásgeir’s latest album In the Silence and look out for him at this year’s Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival.
3. Music showcase featuring Hozier (Thurs, 9:30-9:55pm). Soulful Irish powerhouse Hozier, currently has 2 impressive EPs out; Take Me to Church released in 2013 and From Eden, the most recent. Each EP only gives you a glance into the musician’s sound, which some describe as a combination of gospel, folk and blues. We are excited to see how he will captivate in a small intimate setting.
4. Free at noon concert (Fri, 12-1:15pm) featuring Chet Faker. Chet Faker just released his debut album Built on Glass last month and is on tour now. His single “Talk Is Cheap” is a perfect example of how Faker blends his deep, melodic vocals with electronic ambient beats. Faker will play Union Transfer May 16.
5. Music showcase featuring Lykke Li (Fri, 9:50-10:20pm). Lykke Li will play a showcase at this year’s Non-COMM after her latest album I Never Learn was named best new album by Pitchfork. The album shows an extremely vulnerable side of Lykke Li, which was written after a bad break-up. The showcase will most likely be a very raw and emotional experience for the Swedish singer/songwriter who will appear at Lollapalooza later this summer.
Below, check out the full schedule via XPN.org.
WEDNESDAY MAY 14
7-7:25 PM — Asgeir
7:30-7:55 PM — Matt Andersen
8-8:25 PM — Elbow
8:30-8:55 PM — Grizfolk
9-9:40 PM — The Afghan Whigs
9:45-10:15 PM — The Districts
10:20-11 PM — The Hold Steady
11:05-11:35 — No Sinner
THURSDAY MAY 15
Free At Noon: Jessica Lea Mayfield; The Both (Aimee Mann and Ted Leo)
8-8:25 PM – Those Darlins
8:30-8:55 PM – The Felice Brothers
9-9:25 PM – Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires
9:30-9:55 PM – Hozier
10:00-10:30 PM – Ian MacLagan
10:35-11:15 PM – Counting Crows
11:20-11:45 PM – Benjamin Booker
11:50 PM – 12:20 AM – Shovels & Rope
FRIDAY MAY 16
Free At Noon: Chet Faker; Hamilton Leithauser
8-8:20 PM – Strand Of Oaks
8:25-8:45 PM – Paul Burch
8:50-9:20 PM – Nicole Atkins
9:25-9:45 PM – Lydia Loveless
9:50-10:20 PM – Lykke Li
10:25-10:55 PM – Parquet Courts
11:00-11:30 PM – Hurray for the Riff Raff
11:35 PM – 12:00 AM – Cheetah Chrome