What happens when you take heckin good artists, have them cover other heckin good artists, and then donate the heckin good cover profits to worthy organizations? A beauty of a benefit comp. And new foundation, GRLMIC, has done just this through their recent Bandcamp release of GRLMIC Vol. 1.
Sad13‘s Sadie Dupuis opens the compilation with a cover of Carole King’s classic song, “It’s Too Late,” by throwing a glittery-pop, futuristic spin on the classic tune. Where Carole King’s keys and sultry, sweeping vocals take center stage, Sad13’s version emphasizes electro beats, swirls of sparkly synth, and warped guitar solos that perfectly encapsulate Sad13’s sugar-pop garage aesthetic.
Keeping with GRLMIC’s mission “to support and empower a diverse spectrum of young women / non-binary youth through music,” one hundred percent of the profits from GRLMIC Vol. 1 will be donated to Planned Parenthood and the Willie Mae Rock Camp for Girls. Take a listen to Sad13’s modern cover of “It’s Too Late” below, along with the always timeless Carole King original. Then, peep the rest of the gem-filled tracklist and grab a download here.
GRLMIC VOL1 Tracklist:
01. Sad13 – It’s Too Late (Carole King Cover)
02. T-Rextasy – Never On A Sunday (The Chordettes Cover)
03. Julia Shapiro (of Chastity Belt) – In Love With Yourself (Liz Phair Cover)
04. Terra Lopez (of Rituals Of Mine) – Fruits Of My Labor (Lucinda Williams Cover)
05. Snail Mail – One Day (Sharon Van Etten Cover)
06. Lisa Prank – Passionate Kisses (Lucinda Williams Cover)
07. Piper Durabo (of Puro Instinct) – Mind Your Own Business (Delta 5 Cover)
08. Jackie Mendoza – Thank You/I Try (Dido/Macy Gray Cover)
09. Bethlehem Steel – Hero (Mariah Carey Cover)
10. Jilian Medford (of IAN SWEET) – Running Up That Hill (Kate Bush Cover)
11. Long Beard – Fade Into You (Mazzy Star Cover)
12. Fern Mayo – With Arms Outstretched (Rilo Kiley Cover)
- Categorized Under: