Sean Hoots, Sharon Little, and Hezekiah Jones are just some of the artists performing at Maysie’s Farm Fest in Glenmoore, Pa. today. The concert was rescheduled due to yesterday’s rain; gates open at noon, tickets and information can be found here. Below, listen to music from Raise the Dead Language, Sean Hoots’ atmospheric project he’ll be playing material from today.
Austin’s R&B/soul party rockers Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears recently release Electric Slave and are currently on tour in support of the release. WXPN Welcomes Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears to Union Transfer on Sunday, September 22nd. Go here for tickets and more information about the show. Below, download “Come To My Party.”
In anticipation of their new album, Electric Slave, out at the end of August, Austin-based Black Joe Lewis has released the new tune, “Come To My Party”, via Entertainment Weekly. The song is funky, blues-y, and doesn’t skimp on the brass. It’s available as in instant download with any iTunes or D2C pre-orders of Electric Slave. The band will be heading out on tour in support of Electric Slave starting in the early fall, and will be stopping off in Philly for a show at Union Transfer on September 22nd. Tickets are on sale now, and March XPN Artist to Watch, Pickwick, will be supporting. Find more info here. Listen to “Come To My Party” via Entertainment Weekly here, and check out the full Electric Slave track-list below. Continue reading →
Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears are releasing their new album Electric Slave on August 27th, but you can now listen to their new single “Skulldiggin” on SoundCloud and download the track for free from their website. The blues-funk rock n roll outfit deliver a crashing, static-y tune ladden with great riffs and some sophisticated angst. Do I hear a bit of Hendrix influence in the beginning, too? Cool stuff. Catch Black Joe Lewis at Union Transfer on September 22nd, along with opener Pickwick.
Besides day two of the Made in America Festival, there’s a bunch of shows going on in the Philadelphia area tonight. If you’re hitting up the festival today and looking for something to do afterwards (or just feel like taking in some impressive turntable skills), DJ Shadow will be spinning a late night Made in America afterparty at the TLA. The show starts at 11 p.m. and tickets are available here for $18. Check out a roundup of some of our favorite DJ Shadow moments here.
If you’re looking for free outdoor music, the Camden County Freeholders are hosting a free Backyard BBQ tonight at Wiggins Waterfront Park. Performances include Galactic featuring Corey Glover, Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears, Royal Southern Brotherhood with Cyril Neville, 61 North, and Mia Boarders. The music starts at 2 p.m. and goes all day. For more information click here. Check out the video for Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears’ song “Mustang Ranch” below.
Finally, if your looking for something folksy, check out the Folkadelphia Presents show at Studio 34 with The Black Swans, Meg Baird, and Glenn Jones tonight. The doors open at 8 p.m. and tickets are on sale here for $10. For more details check out the Facebook event page here. Below, listen to The Black Swans’ song “Nap.”
For years (13 years, to be exact), it seemed that ‘90s indie rockers Archers of Loaf were gone for good. Then, this past January, the North Carolina-based foursome reunited for a surprise set in their home state. To the delight of fans everywhere, a fall reunion tour was announced a few months later, followed by a performance at Sasquatch Music Festival. The hype didn’t stop there; in early June, Merge Records announced plans to reissue all four of AoL’s studio albums, beginning with their debut LP Icky Mettle on August 2nd. Later that month, the group made their TV debut performing their 1992 single “Wrong” on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. No details have been released on what the future holds after this tour for the band, so if you want to see them before their next 13 year hiatus, you may want to be sure you make it out tonight. Archers of Loaf perform with By Surprise at the Trocadero at 9:00 p.m.; tickets to the all-ages show are $20 and are available here.
Also tonight: XPN Welcomes Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears w/ Donn T at the TLA at 7:30 p.m. Tickets to the 21+ show are $27.00 (including fee).
There’s lots of cool shows to check out this weekend. Here’s what we recommend.
– Death Cab For Cutie w/ Frightened Rabbit at the Mann Center at 8 p.m. Tickets to the all ages $29.50-$39.50.
– Hometown heroes Man Man with Grandchidren and the West Philadelphia Orchestra at The Trocadero at 7 p.m. Tickets to the all ages show are $14.
– PhillyLOVE w/ DJ Queslove at the Electric Factory at 10:30 p.m. Tickets to the 21+ show are $40.20 (including service charges).
– Atomic Square w/ Ages and Bacio at Johnny Brenda’s. Showtime is 9:15 p.m. Tickets to the 21+ show are $10.00.
– Making Time w/ Cold Cave and Austra at Voyeur at 9 p.m. Tickets to the 21+ show $12 in advance/$15.00 at the door.
– XPN Welcomes Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears w/ Donn T at the TLA at 7:30 p.m. Tickets to the 21+ show are $27.00 (including fee).
– Archers of Loaf w/ By Surprise at The Trocadero. Doors at 8 p.m. Show at 9 p.m. Tickets to the all ages show are $10.00.
– Jill Scott’s Summer Block Party w/ Mint Condition and Anthony Hamilton at the Susquehanna Bank Center at 7 p.m. Tickets to the all ages show are $25.75-$150.75 (additional service fees apply to different ticket levels).
– The Ettes w/ Heavy Cream and Hans Condor at the M! Room at 9 p.m. Tickets to the 21+ show are
– Mad Decent Block Party at The Piazza at 1 p.m. This event is all ages and free.
– Sir Benjamin Quintet (Ben Vaughn) w/ this Sunday Dixy Blood at the Little Bar, 736 S. 8th St. (at Fitzwater) at 9:00 p.m.