Collingswood, NJ native Ben Vaughn will come back to our neck of the woods for a pair of shows up river around Christmas. The leader of the Ben Vaughn Combo has been writing new material that he’ll hopefully share with fans at John and Peter’s in New Hope on December 26th before traveling thirty minutes down the Delaware River to The Record Collector in Bordentown, NJ on December 27th.
South Jersey-bred rocker, producer and XPN host Ben Vaughn takes to the stage of The Tin Angel tonight. The venue is celebrating its 20th anniversary this month, and XPN Welcomes Ben and his quintet to rattle the walls a bit with some timeless garage rock tunes. The 21+ show begins at 8 p.m., tickets and more information can be found here. Below, watch a video of the Ben Vaughn Quintet playing “My First Band” at Maxwell’s in Hoboken last year.
Check out the photo below of two of our favorite DJ’s: Jerry Blavat, The Geator With The Heator, and Ben Vaughn. Ben tells us the photo was taken in 1996 at KCRW’s studios in Los Angeles when Ben was doing the video shoot for his album Rambler ’65, in which The Geator makes a guest voiceover cameo appearance. WXPN has The Geator and Ben on the radio weekly; iisten to The Many Moods of Ben Vaughn Saturdays at 5PM followed by The Geator’s Rock N Roll Rhythm and Blues Express at 6PM. WXPN Welcomes the Ben Vaughn Quintet to the Tin Angel on Tuesday, November 13th. Go here to buy tickets and for more information about the show. Below the photo be sure to watch the video for the song. Photo below compliments of Ben Vaughn
After we posted this photo of Ben Vaughn, we asked Ben to send us some more photos from his archives. Below, check out a photo of Ben and R&B singer Arthur Alexander, and below that Ben with the legendary Johnny Otis.
Our friend Ben Vaughn must have an incredible collection of old photos, assuming he can find them amongst his tens of thousands of records. From his days with the Ben Vaughn Combo to his various record producing gigs over the years, Ben occasionally posts them to his Facebook. Ben describes the photo above: “The Combo in Philly. JFK Plaza lunchtime concert, 1986. Gus says he might still own those pants.” Don’t miss The Many Moods Of Ben Vaughn radio show Saturdays at 5pm on XPN. He can play anything he wants and make it sound great.
To many music fans, Gene Ween is known as the lead singer of Ween; since the mid ’80s, he and childhood friend Mickey Melchiondo (Dean Ween) have been performing under that name. These days, Gene (real name Aaron Freeman) is getting ready to release his debut solo album as Aaron Freeman, called Marvelous Clouds. It is being released by Partisan Records on May 8th and was produced by Ben Vaughn—producer and host of The Many Moods of Ben Vaughn (Saturdays at 5 pm on WXPN). Vaughn last worked with Freeman when Vaughn produced Ween’s 1996 release 12 Golden Country Greats. Marvelous Clouds contains all covers of songs by the poet, musician, and author Rod McKuen. Below, listen to “As I Love My Own.”
Tonight, inspired by the sounds of the Sir Douglas Quintet, Ben Vaughn performs as the Sir Benjamin Quintet w/ Dixy Blood at the Little Bar, 736 S. 8th St. (at Fitzwater) at 9:00 p.m. Vaughn, the host of WXPN’s The Many Moods of Ben Vaughn played two area shows this past week and tonight’s show wraps up his return to the Philly area before heading back to his home in LA. Dixy Blood, fronted by Clarence “Mick” Cancer and including guitarist Richie Lustre (formerly of Philly’s legendary Sickkidz) open. Below, check out a video of he Ben Vaughn Combo covering “She’s About A Mover” by the Sir Douglas Quintet.
There’s lots of cool shows to check out this weekend. Here’s what we recommend.
- Death Cab For Cutie w/ Frightened Rabbit at the Mann Center at 8 p.m. Tickets to the all ages $29.50-$39.50.
- Hometown heroes Man Man with Grandchidren and the West Philadelphia Orchestra at The Trocadero at 7 p.m. Tickets to the all ages show are $14.
- PhillyLOVE w/ DJ Queslove at the Electric Factory at 10:30 p.m. Tickets to the 21+ show are $40.20 (including service charges).
- Atomic Square w/ Ages and Bacio at Johnny Brenda’s. Showtime is 9:15 p.m. Tickets to the 21+ show are $10.00.
- Making Time w/ Cold Cave and Austra at Voyeur at 9 p.m. Tickets to the 21+ show $12 in advance/$15.00 at the door.
- XPN Welcomes Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears w/ Donn T at the TLA at 7:30 p.m. Tickets to the 21+ show are $27.00 (including fee).
- Archers of Loaf w/ By Surprise at The Trocadero. Doors at 8 p.m. Show at 9 p.m. Tickets to the all ages show are $10.00.
- Jill Scott’s Summer Block Party w/ Mint Condition and Anthony Hamilton at the Susquehanna Bank Center at 7 p.m. Tickets to the all ages show are $25.75-$150.75 (additional service fees apply to different ticket levels).
- The Ettes w/ Heavy Cream and Hans Condor at the M! Room at 9 p.m. Tickets to the 21+ show are
- Mad Decent Block Party at The Piazza at 1 p.m. This event is all ages and free.
- Sir Benjamin Quintet (Ben Vaughn) w/ this Sunday Dixy Blood at the Little Bar, 736 S. 8th St. (at Fitzwater) at 9:00 p.m.
Bon Iver, the indie folk outfit led by Justin Vernon, emerged from 2007’s For Emma, Forever Ago with a devoted following and a hefty dose of high expectations for the next album. After For Emma’s romantic mythology (weighty songwriting in a lone cabin, deep in the woods) and wistful, rustic songs meant that Bon Iver had a lot to live up to. Fortunately, Vernon more than delivered with this spring’s self-titled Bon Iver.Bon Iver takes its predecessor’s charms and multiplies them, creating a layered, complex sound that’s more sophisticated by half. Bon Iver plays with The Rosebuds at the Tower Theatre tonight at 8 p.m.; tickets to the all-ages show are $35-$45.
Also playing: Fresh from performing at the XPoNential Music Festival, WXPN’s Artist To Watch Gary Clark Jr. is on the bill with ?uestlove (on the wheels of steel) + Voss, Abstract Verses at The Blockley (9 p.m., 21+, $8),
WXPN Welcomes the Ben Vaughn Quintet to The Sundown Music Music Series at Haddon Lake Park in Haddon Heights, NJ (7:30 p.m., all-ages, free)