Kuf Knotz has released a new song, “Eddie Green.” His first new music in almost three years, it’s the first taste of a new album, A Positive Light, that Kuf has been working on. “Eddie Green,” named for Kuf’s father, had a significant inspiration on Kuf’s life. In honor and memory of the anniversary of Green’s death, the song is an emotionally filled tribute to Kuf’s father featuring Joe Miller on acoustic guitar and vocals and Ginger Coyle on keyboards. Download the song below, for a “name your price.” Kuf will be opening for Robert Randolph & The Family Band on Thursday, November 21st at the Ardmore Music Hall.
The Do Good Festival will be held August 16th at the Hard Rock Cafe. Ranging from rock to indie folk to hip hop, the all–ges festival will be hosting six artists including Chill Moody, Kuf Knotz, and Market East. With advanced tickets at $10 and $15 tickets at the door, all proceeds from the festival will be donated to Philabundance to aid the organization in its emergency hunger relief services. Can’t make it to the show, but still want to help? More information on donating to the cause can be found at festival organizers DCS’s (Davis Concert Staging) website here. Find more information and tickets for the 7 p.m. festival here. Get ready for the show with Market East’s album Summer of Children and Chill Moody’s video for “Chains” below.
Tonight, West Chester’s NONA is playing at Kung Fu Necktie. This three-piece fleshes out their grunge-inspired sound with endless riffs and eccentric melodies. Their debut album, Through The Head, is available as a name your own price download here. Pre-orders for the actual record are available here. Tickets for the show are available at the door. Below, listen to “Dead to You” from Through The Head.
The rapper/spoken word artist Dessa (of midwest collective Doomtree) will be performing at Sellersville Theater tonight with Philly hip-hop artist Kuf Knotz. Dessa is celebrating her newest album Parts of Speech, released on Doomtree Records. For more information on Dessa, check out a piece from The Key here. Alongside Dessa will be Philly native hip-hop artist Kuf Knotz, who blends elements of blues, rock, and other genres with his hip-hip. Tickets and information for the all ages show can be found here. Below, watch Dessa perform “The Man I Knew” for MN Original.
The label will also be releasing a 10th Anniversary compilations of previously released and unreleased material from bands that have recorded for the label. The CD will be distributed at the show and will be made available for sale following the concert. Track listing below:
MDR 10th Anniversary Compilation
1. Hoots & Hellmouth- You & All of Us (from the Holy Open Secret)
2. Matt Duke- Tidal Waves (from Winter Child)
3. Andrew Lipke & The Prospects- Get It Over With (from Motherpearl & Dynamite)
4. Kuf Knotz- Fame Us (from Boombox Generation)
5. The Redwalls – Modern Diet (from The Redwalls)
6. Motion City Soundtrack- Severance (from Making Moves)
7. A Great Big Pile of Leaves- Writing Utensils (from Making Moves)
8. Goldrush- Settle Down (from Making Moves)
9. The Skies Revolt- For Your Health (from Making Moves)
10. The Company We Keep- Right/Wrong (from Making Moves)
11. The Swimmers – Hundred Hearts (from People Are Soft)
12. Toy Soldiers – Throw Me Down (from Whisper Down the Lane)
13. Trisha O’Keefe- Never Enough (from Star Burns Brightest)
14. Jules Shear- Used To It (from Dreams Don’t Count)
Bonus Tracks – New Tracks – Previously Unreleased by MAD Dragon Artists
15. Hoots & Hellmouth- Off to Sea (previously unreleased)
16. Kuf Knotz- Runnin’ (previously unreleased)
17. Matt Duke- Dead Meat (previously unreleased)
18. Andrew Lipke- The Old Man and the Sea (previously unreleased)
19. Andrew Gray- Take It Easy (previously unreleased)
20. Sean Hoots- Boy of Leaf (previously unreleased)
Post-punk quartet Parquet Courts headline an eclectic line-up at PhilaMOCA tonight. Back in Philadelphia for the third time this year, Parquet Courts continue to tour in support of their debut full-length Light Up Gold, which just got a proper label release through indie label What’s Your Rupture. Tickets and information for tonight’s all-ages show with Scott & Charlene’s Wedding, Amanda X and Household can be found here. Watch Parquet Courts perform “Master of My Craft” and “Borrowed Time” live on WNYC below.
One of the stand-out bands at March’s SXSW, Sir Sly make their way to Philadelphia tonight for a show at Johnny Brenda’s. With an EP plus a few more tracks released, the band has quickly made it clear that they will operate in the realm of expansive, catchy pop hooks. Tickets and information for tonight’s 21+ show with JMSN and The Last Royals can be found here. Watch a new video for “Found You Out” below and download “Gold” here.
Local Brazilian band Alo Brasil plays Underground Arts tonight. More than just a performing band, Alo Brasil features an interactive live show influenced by African rhythms like samba, maracatu and more. Though often accompanied by costumed dancers, for their recurring “Underground Sessions” Alo Brasil has a refreshed line-up of musicians. Tickets and information for tonight’s 21+ show can be found here, or on the Facebook event page here. Watch a promo video for Alo Brasil below.