support from Cancer Treatment Centers Of America
The traditional Philadelphia-throned Mad Decent Block Party took place this past weekend at the Great Plaza at Penns Landing. Owner of Mad Decent and DJ, Thomas Wesley Pentz (aka Diplo) began the block party in 2008 when it used to actual take place on an actual block. Now with bigger artists and more of a demand, the parties have expanded across the country (and the world, if you include Toronto). During this Mad Decent tour, headlining act for every party included Major Lazer and rotating acts like Zeds Dead, Flosstradamus, and Riff Raff, among many others on the Mad Decent label.
A sold-out Philadelphia show brought out a variety of people, and when I say variety, I mean that is the most real sense possible. Because the show was all ages, there were people there ranging from probably 15 to 40 years old.
The day was beautiful and the sun was shining as people wearing neon colors of pink and green scattered down onto the waterfront. Girls wearing less to nothing except black duct tape or handmade crop tops; people’s arms and bodies covered in beaded bracelets aka “candy”, and carrying around cartoon backpacks of characters like Lilo & Stitch or Spongebob Squarepants.
This cultural spaceship that landed at Mad Decent has emerged worldwide since the EDM (Electronic Dance music) scene became so prominent. DJ’s, rap, and electronic music that come along with dance moves like twerking and breakdancing.
Who’s to say how long this craze will last among the all of the cultural fads that seem to come and go, but EDM seems to be stepping out into the future as a definitive piece of music culture.
Electronic dancehall party starters Major Lazer just dropped a free remix of “The Fog” by Machel Montano. Spearheaded by Diplo, the EDM group released its new album, Free the Universe, in April and featured a ridiculous variety of artists, from Ezra Koenig to Bruno Mars to dancehall artists like Busy Signal. Major Lazer is embarking on a nationwide tour headlining the Mad Decent Block Parties. The very first Mad Decent Block Party was in Philadelphia (when the label was still based in Philly), and the day-long event returns to Penn’s Landing on July 27th. You can find more information here.
The first wave of announcements for Mad Decent’s annual Block Party have begun rolling in from Diplo’s camp, and the touring event will hit its hometown of Philly on July 27th. No line-up has been made public yet but based on previous years it’s sure to be a colorful mix of hip hop, electronica and experimental genre mash-ups. Check out the announcement video below and then stream Diplo’s “Express Yourself” featuring Nicky Da B and remixed by DJ Mustard.
Brace yourselves: the dudes over at Mad Decent are gearing up for their annual Block Party and with the line-up they announced yesterday, things are definitely going to get loud, probably crazy, and certainly awesome. This year, names gracing Penn’s Landing’s Great Plaza include Major Lazer (of course), as well as Bonde Do Role, Riff Raff, DJ Sega, Reptar, POPO, and others. If you’re all about the new-school electronica, hip-hop, and experimental wave, this is the train you don’t want to miss. The Party goes down from noon to 9pm on August 4th. The event is free for all ages, but an RSVP is required (you can RSVP here). For more information — including the full line-up — check out the Facebook event page.
Do we even need to tell you how much fun this is? RSVP here.
From the folks over at Mad Decent:
Native shoes presents the official Mad Decent Block Party 2011 Mixtape featuring new tracks and remixes from some of this years most exciting acts!
Make sure to check out the Los Angeles Native Pre-party Going down at Space 15 this Friday. RSVP.
Gang Gang Dance – MindKilla (Lee Scratch Perry Remix)
Jillionaire – Go Dung (african talk edit)
DJ Tim Dolla- Trina Bytch (Dirty Vouge)
Beyonce-White Hot Fantasy (DJ Sega remix)
Sinden & sbtrkt- Kind Of Familiar
Major Lazer – Jump Up (Thom Yorke Remix)
Bosco Delrey – Glow Go The Bones
Das Racist- You Can Sell Anything
Gym Class Hereos & Easy Does It- Stereo Hearts (Drunkmaster Flex Edit)
Dillon Francis & Diplo- Que Que feat. Maluca (Alvaro Remix)
Blaqstarr-Rider Girl (Nadastrom Moombathon Remix)
Po Po-Kill Tonight
The hood Internet- Slow John (Lil Wayne vs Com Truise)
Kito & Reija Lee-This City (Asa & KOAN Sound Remix)
Zeds Dead – White Satin
Death Grips – Guillotine
Lunice – Hitmanes Anthem
Wiz Khalifa, Curren$y& Big Sean- O. T. T. R
Movado-Delilah (Diplo Remix)
Dawn Golden & Rosy Cross – Blacks
Girl Unit – WUT (Claude Von Stroke Remix)
For more photos by Eric Ashleigh, visit solitairecollective.com.
Mad Decent Block Party is from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. today at the The Piazza, North 2nd St and Germantown Avenue. The lineup includes Diplo, Das Racist, PO PO, DJ Sega, Brick Bandits, Paul Devro, Kito, Luvstep (Dirty South Joe & Flufftronix). The event is all ages and free.
- Death Cab For Cutie w/ Frightened Rabbit at the Mann Center at 8 p.m. Tickets to the all ages $29.50-$39.50.
- Hometown heroes Man Man with Grandchidren and the West Philadelphia Orchestra at The Trocadero at 7 p.m. Tickets to the all ages show are $14.
- PhillyLOVE w/ DJ Queslove at the Electric Factory at 10:30 p.m. Tickets to the 21+ show are $40.20 (including service charges).
- Atomic Square w/ Ages and Bacio at Johnny Brenda’s. Showtime is 9:15 p.m. Tickets to the 21+ show are $10.00.
- Making Time w/ Cold Cave and Austra at Voyeur at 9 p.m. Tickets to the 21+ show $12 in advance/$15.00 at the door.
- XPN Welcomes Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears w/ Donn T at the TLA at 7:30 p.m. Tickets to the 21+ show are $27.00 (including fee).
- Archers of Loaf w/ By Surprise at The Trocadero. Doors at 8 p.m. Show at 9 p.m. Tickets to the all ages show are $10.00.
- Jill Scott’s Summer Block Party w/ Mint Condition and Anthony Hamilton at the Susquehanna Bank Center at 7 p.m. Tickets to the all ages show are $25.75-$150.75 (additional service fees apply to different ticket levels).
- The Ettes w/ Heavy Cream and Hans Condor at the M! Room at 9 p.m. Tickets to the 21+ show are
- Mad Decent Block Party at The Piazza at 1 p.m. This event is all ages and free.
- Sir Benjamin Quintet (Ben Vaughn) w/ this Sunday Dixy Blood at the Little Bar, 736 S. 8th St. (at Fitzwater) at 9:00 p.m.